The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What information as a horse owner would you like to see.....

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  cmvet 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have been posting in the forum for a few months now, and have found great information being passed along through here. As some of you on this forum know, I'm an equine veterinarian starting a new practice.

I am currently developing my web site, and placing content in the F.A.Q. section. I would love to hear your comments as knowledgeable horse owners regarding what disease/problems/health information/ect you would like to have access to on a veterinarians web site. IE; what is the important information you wish you knew more about.

So, I'd love to hear all suggestions.

Thanks
Clint McKnight

#2 ·
#3 ·
Oooh, seasonal things are great, like Farmpony suggested. I'd also like a chart for shots recommended in your local area (one column for stay at home horses, one for traveling horses, etc) in spring and fall. Tips on dentistry, sports medicine, first aid for owners, and any info that pertains to your local practice area, such as poisonius plants, common diseases, etc.

#8 ·
My coach always said it depended on the area and how many other horses there where how often you dewormed. In her 50 horse barn pregger mares, babies, yearlings, and older horses got done every month. Everyone else was every other month. But that was a VERY high traffic barn, new horses in and out every week.

#9 ·
I would like a what wormer to use when. And you could have how to deal with minor injuries and when to call the vet. Also caring for horses in extreme conditions such as the heat waves and there was the big freeze. What to watch out for in summer ie bug bites poison plants sweet itch. Products you can buy in tack shops reccomended by vets that are good to use or cheap alternatives. allergies recognising and dealing with them(most people dont know i only learnt to recognise!!). inected bug bites. ill think of more stuff!

#10 ·
O actually my vet has a year calander and on it he has marked what to watch out for at certain times and when. Such as prevalent times for certain things and when to protect against stuff its quite informative. he also has a print out version where you can mark your horses own timetable on it. so you dont forget worming vaccinations and all that.

#11 ·
I'm a uk web designer (and horse owner) who developed a site for a leading UK equine vet with a lot of information pages on it - go to Nixon Equine Veterinary Surgeons | RCVS Accredited Dedicated Equine Vets | Nixon Equine Vets to view. This is a work in progress and is supplemented by a quarterly newsletter that is either emailed or posted to those clients who have not yet embraced the internet : ( The site will soon be complemented by it's own blog so the partners can update it themselves rather than relying on me to do it for them. Hope you get some good pointers in this site.

Anyone out there can help me really urgently. i want to bid on a vintage horse training book on eBay that finishes in an hour and 28 minutes but the seller will not ship to the UK. i need a new buddy fast who will accept a delivery of a book for me and ship it on to me (in exchange for money of course) otherwise i cannot bid on the book - and i really would like this book. Any help would be much appreciated. i just need someone who is willing to help.

#13 ·
I would like to thank everyone that posted as they are all excellent ideas. I have added information accordingly in the FAQ section, and in the vaccination section under services regarding vaccine schedules. In the preventative medicine area under services I have the current deworming recommendations (quantitative fecal exam, then deworm accordingly. identify those high shedders and deworm every 2-3 months, everyone else may only need 2 - 3 times a year). Medications varry on your location and internal parasite populations. (For those that were curious).

Again, all wonderful suggestions. Any other information or suggestions are welcomed.

#18 ·
Indy- you went to WSU?? I am there for vet school right now! Cool! !

Tealamutt, sure did! I grew up in Western Washington, and went eastern after community college because I hated the Huskies *lol* I wish I had gone to Wazoo's vet school. Graduated with a B.S. degree in psychology/abnormal/criminal psychology, and then decided I wanted to spend my life working with animals. My luck huh?

#16 ·
CMvet, I like the site, very professional and non-cluttered. Also easy to navigate! Perhaps you could add a section on a basic first aid kit- the sticky in this section is an already assembled list, though I think it is a bit extensive for the average owner.

I'd be interested in doing an externship with you, but I'll pm you about setting that up for the next year or so once you're fully up and running. Trying to convince hubby to be that california is awesome and that horses are more than "hay burners" lol.

In the meantime, well done with the site, don't have any further suggestions on FAQ's but will post if I think of some.

#19 ·
I was about to say about deworming and vaccines, but other people were ahead of me. :)

I would add:

1) What to do if the horse has a cut (which does not require stitching) - we have THIS posted all the time in Health Section :wink:
2) Founder: reasons, treatment, prevention
3) Teeth floating: what is it and why it's needed?
4) Hematoma: how come? what to do? (also I've seen number of posts here about it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.