The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Purchasing a horse in India (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/purchasing-horse-india-5560/)

Jatt 01-26-2008 12:16 AM

Purchasing a horse in India

Hi guys,

Hows it goin? New to the forum but the layout looks awsome lol, either way, I'm new to horse's, I've just begun taking lessons here in Alberta and am loving each minute of it, I plan on purchasing a horse overseas in the Punjab region of India, a Marwari mare, I'm not sure if you guys have heard of them before but:

http://marwarihorse.com/blogger/uplo...rse-798501.JPG

http://www.ridingholidays.com/imagenew/marwari1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...s/Dev_raj1.jpg

I know the Marwari is almost unheard of in North America, but these horses are amazingly beautiful and endurance oriented. They are a mix of Arabian and I'm not sure what else, but they were bred heavily back in the 11th and 12th century in North-West India. These horses were mainly used for war and are known for their attachment to their masters, there are many tales about the horse dieing with its owner in war rather then fleeing. Their main trademark is the curled in ears, the more curled, the more its worth, white colour is also highly prized.

Horses in our region are highly respected, many people stopped owning them simply because they know how much attention a horse requires and only keep one if they know they will have atleast one of their labourers dedicated to its upkeep. This horse is a sign of nobility and courage, and is almost exclusively the horse of choice for Rajput and Jatt tribes/clans.

I'll be leaving the horse there and I will have one person just dedicated to its upkeep and riding it atleast 4 times a week, I am just wondering if anyones here ever been riding in Asia and if its still worth it to take lessons here in the west and go there and its minor differences OR am I wasting my times because things there are almost completely opposite from how they train horses here?

I'm sure vocal and linguistic commands are understandable, but riding techniques as a whole? Any real differences? Any advice GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

JustDressageIt 01-26-2008 01:05 AM

Just wanted to say hi! I live in Alberta as well, so if you need any advice about riding stuff in the area, let me know :)

As for your question:
I would think that riding styles are fairly universal, as it's not a spoken tongue or anything. However, perhaps the practices are different? I just can't imagine things being really different because you are communicating with a horse, and I don't see how you'd ask a horse forward other than with your seat and slight pressure from the legs, short of voice commands. Just as I can't see a radically different way to ask for a piaffe or half-pass... but I could be just ignorant.

How long are you in Canada for? How long are you planning on having this horse trained and cared for without you? Are you planning on buying sight-unseen?

Jatt 01-26-2008 01:09 AM

Hey Dressage,

Yeah thats cool, I'm actually from Edmonton, and born n raised in Canada, I just go back there twice a year, for 2 months at a time. I'm looking to go in sept/oct time and looking at some stud farms out there for a properly bred and trained horse. Thing is out there theres no certification or registration of horses so you really need someone whos familiar with horses to not end up with a half donkey lol, I'm taking a retired colonel from the old cavalry of the Indian army.

horse_luver4e 01-26-2008 01:28 PM

Hi! oh my goodness I love the Marwari horses! I want to go to India and get on but I don't know if they will ship them out to usa. They have sent out about 5 Marwari mares to usa and they are getting used to the snow. The breed is abosoluty lovley and I love the gait they have. How they handle horses over in India is different from usa but I'm sure they will get used to it.

Is there anyone on the forum from India?

JustDressageIt 01-26-2008 01:54 PM

Hey again, Jatt..
That's cool. I'm to the south of you a few hours, so our areas are pretty different :)
I'm just curious: why not get a horse here so you can ride it all the time rather than just 4 months a year? I mean the horses you're looking at are obviously stunning, and that would be amazing, but I couldn't imagine owning a horse and not riding or playing with it all the time, but that may just be me.
What disipline are you riding right now? Do you show?

Jatt 01-26-2008 05:13 PM

Thing is, I'm actually incredibly busy here, I leave my house at 8 am and dont get home till about 10 pm every day, and I dont have time, I barely fit in my lessons at 7 am in the mornings, I just started taking them about 2 weeks ago.

The reason I'll be keeping the horse there is just cuz when I go there, I have all the free time in the world. By discipline do you mean style? I'm being taught western right now, my instructor is saying I am learning incredibly fast.

JustDressageIt 01-27-2008 12:22 AM

Ah neat :) well best of luck then. Definitely don't buy without seeing the horse though :)

Rachluvshorses4eva 01-27-2008 01:18 AM

Wow! Good On you. Although I have to say it is a bit odd doing that. When I say this, I don't mean it to offend you. It's just something I wouldn't do. But when I read your other posts, it seems fair.
They are really stunning horses. I would love to own one!