The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   19 year old broodmare?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/19-year-old-broodmare-55644/)

ShannonSevenfold 05-22-2010 06:20 PM

19 year old broodmare??

Well, a little background info: I had a gelding who wasn't working out so I traded him for a mare. She is registered with the AQHA, but the seller refused to give me her papers. I was told she is 20 years old, but the seller lied to me about many things. I would not put it past her to lie about her age.

I looked up her pedigree today as I was curious. Here it is:
Tidy Red Miss Quarter Horse

It says her dam was born in 1971. And if Ti is 20, that would mean she was born in 1990 which would mean her dam would have been 19 when she foaled Ti. Is this plausible? Or should I get the vet's opinion on how old she is?

Also, just out of curiosity... What do others think of her bloodlines? I love her. She has a great temperment and is very level-headed. :D

BarrelracingArabian 05-22-2010 06:29 PM

it is possible for a older mare to have a foal its dangerous but possible

BarrelracingArabian 05-22-2010 06:30 PM

buut it would not hurt to get a vets opinion

ShannonSevenfold 05-22-2010 06:31 PM

Well I know it's possible, I just don't think that someone who was very smart or in the very least respectful of their mare's health would breed a mare who is that old..

I planned on having the vet out to look at her teeth anyway so I'll probably have him check it out.

BarrelracingArabian 05-22-2010 06:35 PM

some people aren't very smart and only breed for the money and thats very possible that thats what happened or it could have been an accidental breeding(stallion breaking into field).

Indyhorse 05-22-2010 07:11 PM

It's not uncommon, or even wrong, for healthy broodmares to continue to raise foals even into their 20's. I personally wouldn't want to breed a mare that old, but I know people can and do all the time, and if the mare is in good shape and healthy she can readily still bear young.

However, if the seller was as dishonest as you claim, it also wouldn't be out of the question for you to have been handed falsified papers.

mom2pride 05-22-2010 11:19 PM

Many breeding farms will have a mare foal til they are into their 20s...it will depend on how well the mare is doing physically, of course, but if she is healthy and fit, there is nothing wrong with letting her foal out in her late years. Especially if the mare is a high quality mare, the breeders will want to use her as long as she remains healthy; some farms will just harvest her eggs as long as they can, and put them in other mares...but others will let nature decide when to stop breeding her; when she doesn't take anymore, then they retire her.

haviris 05-22-2010 11:38 PM

It's not that uncommon, the oldest horse I have known to have a foal was 31!

lilkitty90 05-23-2010 12:15 AM

well the vet recently Checked snowflake and we always thought she was around 17. and apparently she is around 25. and she just had a foal in march! lol so it's possible. but not to sound rude but would it matter when her dam was born? and either way as long as your girl is healthy and happy i wouldn't worry about it at all.

nrhareiner 05-23-2010 12:22 AM

My 30 yo broodmare had her last foal at 24.