The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Groundwork Training Ideas? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/groundwork-training-ideas-55647/)

horseluver50 05-22-2010 07:19 PM

Groundwork Training Ideas?

I am going to start some groundwork training with my horse, as I have never done any with her, and she is starting to get stubborn and a little bit pushy.

She doesn't respect my space, and I have to constantly be tugging on her while leading her, because she is always dragging behind.

I just purchased a natural horsemanship whip. And, I was going to do some of their exercises to get her out of my space, and to lead better.

Does anyone have any good exercises that might work for me?

ilyTango 05-22-2010 07:40 PM

Stand in front of her and tell her to back up (give her a few smacks on the chest if necessary), but don't move yourself. Back her up until she's at the end of her lead rope and just stand there. If she doesn't move, walk up to her without hesitation and praise her for respecting your space, then do it again. This time turn around; maybe take a few steps away from her-she should not follow you, because this is not the cue to follow. When she doesn't move, go up and praise her again. Eventually when she gets better about respecting your space you can invite her in to you. If at any time she takes a step towards you without your cue, back her up another 10 steps or so. Just do this as many times as it takes to get it through her head that she must respect your space-and if she's really pushy, it might take a few days.

Lol. That's my solution to everything when people have trouble with horses disrespecting your space. But hey-it works. Well, there's my two cents.

Btw-what's a natural horsemanship whip?

justsambam08 05-22-2010 07:43 PM

Firstly, if you're looking for NH exercises, its not a whip, its a stick and a string. Whips imply that you're not a real NH follower. :lol::lol::lol:

Moving on from the grammar lesson, what I've found REALLY works well for my guy when he wants to get laggy and stop all of the time is to, when he stops, make him run backwards. Stomp your feet, make your self sound real big and important, and wave your hands/lead rope towards the chest and front legs. Every time your horse stops moving forward, he gets to run backwards. Usually they figure out its best to just keep up. If you can juggle the stick, you can use this also (string end towards the ground, also waving towards the chest/feet)

About the space thing.....this will require use of the stick. Hold the lead rope across your body in your left hand, and the stick in your right, parallel to the ground. When your horse gets too close, stick your right arm out so that the handle of the stick is tapping the nose, and the rest of the stick is hitting the shoulder/midsection. Don't wallop the horses face with it, sticking it out should be enough to get him to move over to a comfortable distance.

ilyTango 05-22-2010 07:49 PM

It's a stick with a string on the end of it? Ok, I'm looking this up. What I'm imagining is what my grandma's cat plays with-sans the catnip mouse on the end of it.

horseluver50 05-22-2010 08:03 PM

Thanks for your responses! I will try both of them when I go to work with her.
Quote:

what's a natural horsemanship whip?
Quote:

It's a stick with a string on the end of it? Ok, I'm looking this up. What I'm imagining is what my grandma's cat plays with-sans the catnip mouse on the end of it.
This is what it is.. as justsambam said, it is actually called a horsemanship stick or a carrot stick:
http://www.horsefriendly.com/store/m...g_stick_lg.jpg

Quote:

Firstly, if you're looking for NH exercises, its not a whip, its a stick and a string. Whips imply that you're not a real NH follower. :lol::lol::lol:
Haha yeah, I just thought that some people might think that if I said a stick, they would think like a tree branch or something :S
I am not a follower yet, just really interested in it :)

Also, when I am leading her.. it just depends on the way she is feeling.. most of the time she is lazy and bored, and will lag along and be really far from me. Which I also don't like, because she is 3m away from me and I have to tug on her to come closer.

I need to learn to be more confident with her though, because she is really spoiled, and I am a pushover for her..
Thats why I will be doing some groundwork, because she needs to know that I am still boss and can still be nice to her, and respect her, but only if she respects me.

Thanks so much for the exercise ideas, I can't wait to go try them with her =D

justsambam08 05-22-2010 08:05 PM

Oh! I forgot to add for the running backwards thing, you should be directly facing her. You probably could do it from her shoulder, but it would be a little confusing.

Spirithorse 05-22-2010 08:09 PM

I do NH....and I use a whip sometimes when I ride.....sheesh.

Anyway, I'd suggest the Parelli 7 Games. That should fix all the issues you are having :)

justsambam08 05-22-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirithorse (Post 641081)
I do NH....and I use a whip sometimes when I ride.....sheesh.

Anyway, I'd suggest the Parelli 7 Games. That should fix all the issues you are having :)

Yes, but a stick and a whip aren't the same thing, agree? They're kind of heavy to use as whips anyway, IMO.

horseluver50 05-22-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Yes, but a stick and a whip aren't the same thing, agree? They're kind of heavy to use as whips anyway, IMO.
But whips are an aid, not necessarily used to hit the horse. Such as lunging, most of the time it is just there to encourage the horse, same as in NH.

But, I agree that it is encouraged to call them a stick :)

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Umm.. I just looked up some training sticks and they are all around 10-20 dollars, I paid $40 for mine! D:

Spirithorse 05-22-2010 08:29 PM

Yes, a stick and a whip are not the same thing....I use either/or sometimes when I ride....stick for Freestyle, whip for Finesse. I was referring to the poking fun when I wrote that.