The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Nova had her very first show!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/nova-had-her-very-first-show-55657/)

HorsesAreForever 05-22-2010 10:45 PM

Nova had her very first show!!!!

It was a very long exhausting day but it went great! Im extremely proud of Nova especially for this to be her very first ever show.. and she took it like a pro.. never spooked at anything and did pretty much everything that was asked of her.. or tried her best.

We got two 1st places, two 2nd places, and one 3rd place.

so so so proud.

We had quite a bit of a mishap on the 2' jumpers, her feet got moving faster then her thinking, and the first round she quite literally just crashed into basically ALL of the jumps.. so we were excused and asked to go around once more, and once I gave her more leg and focused her a bit more she cleared all the jumps nicely. :) Got 3rd either way. Out of I believe 4 people so .. eh.

It was one of those fun shows nothin serious, it was just to learn what to expect from the horses, and how to help them more for june 6th which a hunter show and this gave us a lot to work on and look forward to. Great learning experience.

Heres a still from one of the clips.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...le/novandI.jpg

Im debating if I want to actually put up the video, because it WASNT the most graceful courses seeing that it was suppose to be a "how many jumps can you jump in 30 seconds" type class... but if you guys really want I can post it I just dont want it critiqued really.

sarahver 05-22-2010 10:50 PM

Don't put up the video mate, not worth it unless you are really looking for critique.

What happened to all the flat work you were going to do before jumping? Congratulations on your achievements but the thought of her crashing through an entire course of jumps is concerning, please be careful, both for yourself and your horse.

HorsesAreForever 05-22-2010 11:00 PM

It was because it was jumpers, and its suppose to be at a faster speed, so she got over excited, her feet got infront of her thinking. Nothing big honestly. It was 5 jumps maximum and she crashed threw 3 tops. It was mostly because I let go of all leg contact not thinking.. I was thinking maybe if I let her go and figure it out she will be able to get over it ... WRONG... she depends a lot on my leg.

Once I slowed her down a tad and put my legs back on her and supported her more she made it over the jumps very nicely.

Im doing LOTS of flat work with her almost everyday.. but she needs a change here and there and we were doing jumping and trails here and there so we have the little xrail course a try and shot for the 2' and all together she made it out nicely. Just needed more quidence from me. There was also no REAL flat classes in this show that we could enter.

SHe loves to jump anyways so why not just for the heck of it.

NittanyEquestrian 05-24-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorsesAreForever (Post 641248)
It was because it was jumpers, and its suppose to be at a faster speed, so she got over excited, her feet got infront of her thinking. Nothing big honestly. It was 5 jumps maximum and she crashed threw 3 tops. It was mostly because I let go of all leg contact not thinking.. I was thinking maybe if I let her go and figure it out she will be able to get over it ... WRONG... she depends a lot on my leg.

Why would you ever think that a green, unbalanced horse should be doing speed jumping? And crashing through any jump is BAD for their training, BAD for their poor legs and just BAD in general. Also, why would you think that a green horse that is unbalanced and unsure of herself would be able to jump without leg??!! Seriously?! If you don't want to end up with another lame and freaked out horse...go back to the basics, stick to the flat and take some lessons from a qualified instructor that will MAKE you fill in all the holes in both your training.

Once I slowed her down a tad and put my legs back on her and supported her more she made it over the jumps very nicely.

Im doing LOTS of flat work with her almost everyday.. but she needs a change here and there and we were doing jumping and trails here and there so we have the little xrail course a try and shot for the 2' and all together she made it out nicely. Just needed more quidence from me. There was also no REAL flat classes in this show that we could enter.

Why were you even showing her? Taking her to a show and riding her in the warm-up ring and maybe around the show grounds I can see. But actually showing her and over fences just seems ridiculous to me.

Maybe because neither of you are ready and you could seriously injure both of you?

I'm not trying to be mean here but you really need to think about safety and use some common sense so that both of you can live to see another day.

themacpack 05-24-2010 12:48 PM

Really, HAF? There is no point to even responding because you have made it beyond clear that you will not listen to a **** thing said that isn't a pat on the head and "atta girl". I feel sorry for poor Nova.

NittanyEquestrian 05-24-2010 12:57 PM

^Agreed.

justsambam08 05-24-2010 01:47 PM

I think it would have been one thing if you set up some cross rails in your backyard. That would have been jumping for fun. A show is a competition, and competing when your horse isn't ready makes you and your horse look bad, puts undue pressure and stress on your horse, and actually sets the both of you back, improvement wise.

If I wanted to jump Ice I'm sure that I could, he's gone over jumps before no problem on a lunge line. However he's nowhere near being show ready, so for now we're sticking to the basics of getting his w/t/c and whoa down really solid.

sarahver 05-24-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorsesAreForever (Post 641248)

Because without establishing excellent flatwork you shouldn't even be pointing the horse at any jumps, especially competitively. The reason being is that they will not jump correctly and may end up crashing through the jumps causing injury to their legs.

Oh hang on.....

I don't mean to be harsh but I am more than a little disappointed (and somewhat surprised) that you are jumping her after all the advice that was given to you. I won't bother you with any more suggestions from now on.

Good luck and please look after yourself and Nova.

~*~anebel~*~ 05-24-2010 02:43 PM

Also - you don't go "faster" in jumpers. Keep a pace like in a hunter course - ride rhythmically. All you do that's different in a jumper course is you don't ride to the end of the ring - you cut turns and make shorter lines. The pace should be the same - although in the baby jumpers (under 3'0) you get idiots that run their horses around and are rewarded.
I am the hugest advocate for correct flatwork BEFORE jumping. If you can't set the horse up for a good transition on the flat - you can't properly set it up for a fence. Resulting in getting excused from the ring (!!).

HorsesAreForever 05-24-2010 06:14 PM

Nova can walk/trot/canter with almost perfect transitions ..and she now gets both leads and goes over trot poles and canter poles fine..

it was my choice she did amazing and im proud of her.

It was a FUN show.. -.- Nothing serious.
The reason why she crashed threw the jumps was because I stopped riding basically and she was really looking at me for help and I let her go thinking she would be fine. I learned from that and our 2nd time over the course went great and we got 3rd.

My horse, my choice.

She was fine and she had a lot of fun.
She got a day off the other day, and i rode her today and she wasn't even phased by the show scene.