The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   I did something really stupid.. Don't repeat my mistake! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/i-did-something-really-stupid-dont-55685/)

starlinestables 05-23-2010 01:28 PM

I did something really stupid.. Don't repeat my mistake!

Ok so yesterday, I had a lady coming to look at a horse I have for sale.

Since this horse is black, bot legs stuck out like a sore thumb so I get out the lava block thing. It was mostly used up and caked with dirt and it wasn't working well so I switched to a bot knife.

I was squatting on her left side trying to scrape bot eggs off her lower right fetlock. She stomped at a fly and I lost my balance and fell back on my left hand. I looked up and noticed she was bleeding! My other hand had sliced her leg open with the bot knife just above the knee!

Luckily it wasn't too aweful and only required 6 stitches... Be careful and don't make the same mistake I did!

Luv 2 Trail 05-23-2010 01:52 PM

:-(Sorry about your unfortunate accident! Glad you weren't hurt. Your mare will heal in no time - doesn't sound like a serious cut. How did things go with the lady who came to look at her?

smrobs 05-23-2010 03:51 PM

Wow, I thought bot knives were designed to take the eggs off but not be sharp enough to be a risk (kinda like pumpkin carving knives). Anyway, glad that it doesn't appear too terribly serious and I will certainly remember that. How did it go with the potential buyer?

PaintsPwn 05-23-2010 04:02 PM

I use bot knives to slice open bales of hay and they ARE sharp and toothy enough to leave a nice gash in some flesh.

I try to clip the leg hair - seems to be more effective.

Spyder 05-23-2010 04:04 PM

We all learn by our mistakes.......that is why I am a genius.:-P

riccil0ve 05-23-2010 05:00 PM

Aww, poor mare! I'm sure she'll heal up in no time, and hopefully the potential buyers didn't get snooty about it. Things happen. =]

maura 05-23-2010 07:06 PM

starline,

I've done the same thing, just by putting too much pressure on the bot knife or using them on a wet leg and then been totally mortified when blood appeared.

My accidents were more a scrape than a laceration; and didn't require vet attention, but I felt just as stupid.

MIEventer 05-23-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

We all learn by our mistakes.......that is why I am a genius.:razz:

*chokes on Dr Pepper*

BWWAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

justsambam08 05-23-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintsPwn (Post 641663)
I try to clip the leg hair - seems to be more effective.

Kind of like shaving your head if you have lice, huh? Although for our horses, it doesn't look as funny.

dedebird 05-23-2010 07:52 PM

what is a bot knife and bot legs? i'm sorry i'm still new to horse health