The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   how to groom a scared horse???? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-groom-scared-horse-55694/)

gulcorina 05-23-2010 06:33 PM

how to groom a scared horse????

i have this new horse which is 10 yr old. she is a great 120 speed horse. super quality but cant get in her box. cant groom her the way i want.. she keeps biting me. and never able to touch her face , so her face is VERY dirty and dusty. when i try to bathe her shes nore calm but still cant put a tiny bit of water on her face!
how can i clean her face everyday?
and her mane is too long i want to shorten it but shes afraid of the clipping sound:(

Seahorseys 05-23-2010 10:54 PM

I have tried this method with the fly spray and hose and it worked well, I assume you could do it with a brush as well. I would use a 10 foot lead rope and let her sniff the brush and then place it on a spot you know she likes to be pet or scratched. (Usually the shoulder is a pretty common safe spot) If she moves away from the brush you keep her circling around you until she stands still. the moment she stands still you take the brush away and praise her. (pressure, release) Keep repeating this, it could take some time. As she becomes more comfortable you can move the brush to other areas, but always returning it to the safe, accepted zone if she looks uncomfortable or about to move off. I use pre-moistened pet wipes to clean her face, nose, eyes and inside her ears. It took her a while to be comfortable with cleaning the ears but by desensitizing her to it bit by bit she grew to love and enjoy it. The faces my mare makes when she is brushed are priceless, lol.

kevinshorses 05-24-2010 03:19 AM

I would say that you have deper problems than a dirty horse and you should address those issues first.

themacpack 05-24-2010 09:48 AM

I agree with Kevin. Frankly, getting her face clean would be the last thing on my list of concerns. There are obviously some holes in her basic training that need to be addressed and doing so will, in turn, address the issue that seems to be your priority.

Fluffy Pony 05-24-2010 12:40 PM

Took about a year until I can go past the shoulder with the hose on my gelding. Now I can almost get past his throat latch... it takes patience and trust.

gulcorina 05-24-2010 05:39 PM

thanks everyone. I'll try to do my best =)