The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   New Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/new-horse-55710/)

JekkaLynn 05-23-2010 08:52 PM

New Horse

Hey,
I just bought an Arabian mare from my friend who rescued her from an auction where she was being sold by the pound. We know nothing about her except that she was sold as broke to ride and she is really skinny. We are working on putting weight on her and she is perking up really fast. The other day we brought her to the barn I'm keeping her at. She came off the trailer calm and relaxed and behaved perfectly. Within minutes I was walking and trotting her in-hand having her do spins and sudden stops. I didn't think about it before but now I'm wondering if maybe she was shown in showmanship classes. Is there anything I could ask her to do that if she new how to do it would mean she was most likely trained in showmanship? She trots with her head tucked down, neck arched and her tail up in the air and perfectly matches my speed. Never lags behind or moves in front of me. And she did it for anyone who asked her too. Including several non-horse people.

aforred 05-24-2010 10:14 AM

Set her up. If she does that quickly, she was at least trained for showmanship and/or halter. Otherwise, she still might have been or she might just have awesome training.

JekkaLynn 05-24-2010 11:30 AM

Um...how do I do that?

aforred 05-24-2010 11:44 AM

I'll try to find you a video on YouTube in a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chella 05-24-2010 11:48 AM

She sounds great! Maybe she knows you rescued her and she will do her best for you.

SorrelHorse 05-24-2010 01:29 PM

Most of my halter yearliongs know how to set up when I stand in front of them and hold their head up with the lead. They will generally stack up in correct fashion. I don't know if all horses do that, but I know that's what I have mine do. Maybe you could try that.

JekkaLynn 05-24-2010 10:12 PM

Lol, it is official. She loves me. My friend hopped on her bareback and could barely steer her. I jumped on and she tucked herself up into a loose frame and as soon as I touched a reign would turn on a dime. My friend is gonna ask her coach about showmanship basics and come try her out and maybe show her in showmanship if she is good with it.

Barbie Girl 05-24-2010 10:52 PM

Thats great, She sounds like an awesome horse

aforred 05-24-2010 11:01 PM

This video shows a pretty cool showmanship horse. The part where she moves toward the judge and stops is when she "sets him up". It just means getting the feet square.

PBritton2U 05-25-2010 01:12 PM

Showmanship!

That must be an old, old, OLD video, LOL. Nobody wears gloves any more. But, boy, did that horse back up at warp speed! :)

Pam