The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Hi from Ontario (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/hi-ontario-55712/)

JekkaLynn 05-23-2010 09:08 PM

Hi from Ontario

Hi
I live in Ontario,
I have been riding since I was 14 or 15. I started on my friends half trained horses and moved to an untrained pony after a week. I trained her to walk, trot, canter, jump, and gallop over the course of a few years just riding her every other month or so. After a few months of riding my friend started taking me to watch her lessons at the barn she rode at and when her instructor learned that I wanted to ride but my parents couldn't afford to get me lessons she hired me to clean stalls every Saturday morning in exchange for riding lessons. I worked there every Saturday for 2 years, took 6 months off to work what my parents called a 'Real Job' then started working again for another couple of years. Eventually I got put in charge of the girls who worked on Saturdays and when I graduated from high school I started working there full time. After two years I had to get a better paying job since I was married and we where trying to buy our first home. I have missed it everyday since. The barn had over 45 horses at any given time. Sometimes it had as many as 55 with another 10 living in a barn down the road. I worked with Thoroughbred stallions, a Gypsy Vanner Stallion, broodmares, foals, yearling, and so much more. I rode race horses, western horses, hunters and jumpers. I trained baby horses and older horses to lead properly and helped with surgeries since the barn was owned by a vet so we had horses there for operations and recovery from surgeries all the time. I was at the point where unless I got me own horse or started leasing one and riding a few times a week I couldn't go any further in lessons. I gave up lessons when I got married but after a year my husband surprised me with lessons again. I rode for 6 months once a week but just last month had to again give it up since we are moving and needed to save the money to afford first and last months rent at our new place and since I still couldn't afford to lease a horse or buy one to board there I couldn't go any further with lessons. A few weeks ago a friend asked me to find a horse for his kids and give them lessons on how to care for a horse and how to ride it. While looking for one I found a starved Arabian mare that my friend had rescued from an auction and fell in love. Yesterday my husband bought her for me and she moved to my friends farm. I got on and rode her around bareback with a lead rope 2 hours after getting her. She is an angel.

kigers4ever 05-31-2010 08:27 AM

Hi JekkaLynn:

I am from Ontario too and I own Kigers. Its good to see someone else here from my neck of the woods. Good luck with Indy. Let us know how she is doing.