The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Whats a good breed for my first horse??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/whats-good-breed-my-first-horse-55763/)

stefanixx 05-24-2010 01:22 PM

Whats a good breed for my first horse???

hi,
well i am considering getting a horse in a couple of months. I NEED ADVICE LOL what do people reccomend as a good breed for a first horse. I have been warned against thoroughbreds and told to go for a clydie x or a standardbred.... im after a breed of horse that keeps its weight ok isnt to expensive to feed. im not interested in showing at all just a fun pleassure horse for trail riding. any tips on what breed or advice on buying a horse please tell me :D

thnxx :D

Lis 05-24-2010 01:24 PM

Ignore breed and go for one that is completely bombproof and well trained.

Speed Racer 05-24-2010 01:28 PM

Beginner friendly, well trained, and as bombproof as possible.

Also, an easy keeper if you can find one. Hard keepers are difficult first horses, especially since there's always a learning curve for noobs.

Breed and color are immaterial at this point. You want safe, sane, and willing to put up with a beginner's mistakes.

stefanixx 05-24-2010 01:37 PM

Are there any breeds i should stay away from?? does easy keeper referr to feeding and those sorts of things or behaviour and temperment?

Speed Racer 05-24-2010 01:59 PM

Stefanix, a hard keeper refers to a horse who has difficulty putting and keeping on weight. Sometimes it has to do with their temperament, but other times it has to do with their breed and body type.

I don't necessarily have any hard keepers, but when I brought home my TB I literally doubled my feed bill. I can feed two Arabians for 2 weeks on what my one TB needs for the same time schedule.

It's not so much a particular breed you need to avoid, but a particular type of horse. TBs, Arabians and Saddlebreds all have the reputation of being hot and reactive. Yes and no. Some are very much stereotypical, while others are not.

As I said, find a beginner friendly horse who has been well trained. Breed and age of the animal don't matter, as long as it meets that criteria.

BritishReiner 05-24-2010 04:13 PM

From my experience quarter horses tend to be hardy and well balanced mentally. I hope you find the perfect horse for you. :)

Jessabel 05-24-2010 04:19 PM

Anything that's quiet and dead broke.

Qtswede 05-24-2010 05:13 PM

If it's quiet and very well broke, then there is no breed to avoid. Good luck - and don't buy anything because of looks. There is no such thing as an ugly horse when it's trained well.

BrewCrew 05-24-2010 05:58 PM

" to all that's been said. Some breeds can be more high strung then others, though, such as Arabs. That being said, my first horse was an Arab and he was (and still is!) amazing. It depends on the individual horse and the training that's gone into it. Mine had been trained and ridden pretty much every day of his life for 10 years, shown English, Western Pleasure, Hunter/Jumper, gone camping, etc. Maybe look for someone's "hand me down"; a semi-retired horse that's older and has the patience and experience you need. HTH.

farley 05-24-2010 06:34 PM

yea i would stay away from any hard keepers and anything hot and flighty, make sure you have someone horse savy/experianced horse own/rider to go with you, ask many questions about health age and temperment, dont take someones word for anything if you consider buying visit the horse on more then one acassion have the present owner doing everything! first then you do if the owner cant control/handle or doesnt have respect from the horse then keep looking. dont buy the first thing you see there are plenty of horses out there and getting a horse should be a life time commitment if poosible, so make sure you and the horse complement each other make sure the horse will fit into your life style. anyway good luck i wish you the best