The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Thinking about saving this horse... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/thinking-about-saving-horse-5577/)

horse_luver4e 01-26-2008 09:42 PM

Thinking about saving this horse...

Hi guys, I was looking at horses and I came across this cute little fella. He was neglected. I was thinking, maybe if I get him he might not go to slaughter. :wink:

This time I'm asking: Whats your opinion?

http://horsetopia.horse-for-sale.org...fieds/ad264583

JustDressageIt 01-26-2008 10:01 PM

Chances are that if this person has put the time and effort into putting weight on this horse and caring for him to get him back to good health, she won't send him to slaughter. She said she's looking for a nice permanent home, so I would be 99.9% sure she won't sell to slaughter, if that's what you're worried about.

Have you had experience with neglected or abused horses before? Most are not your usual happy-go-lucky, walk up to them and expect they'll stand there while you halter them, ride as if nothing's wrong, horses. Most do have problems that will take time to resolve, so if you're up to doing a LOT of waiting and training, and have a ton of patience, then yeah go ahead and think about it.

The person isn't sure if he's broke to ride, and he might be quite fearful of people/being ridden if he was abused as well as neglected... just something to watch out for. It sounds like he's going to need a lot of TLC to get back to the horse he was.

If you want a broke-to-ride horse that you know won't need a lot of time and work, he's not the right horse. If you're looking for a project and are willing to spend the time, effort and money on, then it sounds like you might have a good horse in him.

Like I said before, DO NOT buy him just because you think you're saving him from slaughter - that isn't likely to happen. It sounds like the woman is willing to wait to find the right permanent home for him.

Oh, and another thing.. since the seller wants a permanent home for him, chances are she'll be wanting to get a document signed stating that this horse can't be sold, so please don't go into it thinking you'll be able to sell him for a profit.

Keep us updated on what you're thinking of doing!
You'd be taking on a project, but let me tell you, the rewards are well worth it, when you know what you're getting into.

horse_luver4e 01-26-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt
Chances are that if this person has put the time and effort into putting weight on this horse and caring for him to get him back to good health, she won't send him to slaughter. She said she's looking for a nice permanent home, so I would be 99.9% sure she won't sell to slaughter, if that's what you're worried about.

Have you had experience with neglected or abused horses before? Most are not your usual happy-go-lucky, walk up to them and expect they'll stand there while you halter them, ride as if nothing's wrong, horses. Most do have problems that will take time to resolve, so if you're up to doing a LOT of waiting and training, and have a ton of patience, then yeah go ahead and think about it.

The person isn't sure if he's broke to ride, and he might be quite fearful of people/being ridden if he was abused as well as neglected... just something to watch out for. It sounds like he's going to need a lot of TLC to get back to the horse he was.

If you want a broke-to-ride horse that you know won't need a lot of time and work, he's not the right horse. If you're looking for a project and are willing to spend the time, effort and money on, then it sounds like you might have a good horse in him.

Like I said before, DO NOT buy him just because you think you're saving him from slaughter - that isn't likely to happen. It sounds like the woman is willing to wait to find the right permanent home for him.

Oh, and another thing.. since the seller wants a permanent home for him, chances are she'll be wanting to get a document signed stating that this horse can't be sold, so please don't go into it thinking you'll be able to sell him for a profit.

Keep us updated on what you're thinking of doing!
You'd be taking on a project, but let me tell you, the rewards are well worth it, when you know what you're getting into.

lol belive me I have a 3yr old, she isn't a happy-go-lucky horse! :lol:
I would never sell a horse just to get a profit. That just sounds...cold. :(
I will most likey get some suppliments that help to put some weight on them. Because I don't want to throw a saddle on him when he's this skinny. It might hurt him.

Momo 01-26-2008 10:32 PM

Yeah, if you think you are emotionally, financially, and time-wise ready for a project like this, then I say go for it. The rewards of successfully keeping a horse like that are great, from what I hear.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes~ :)

JustDressageIt 01-26-2008 10:53 PM

HorseLuvr, I would strongly suggest you think about it really long and hard. Abused/neglected horses are (usually) completely different to work with than your average horse, whether it's 3 or not. Abuse and neglect really screw around with a horse's head.

If you think you can handle it, then please make sure you have professional help... and do an extensive vet check on him.

I'm just warning you - if you don't have the experience necessary (I'm not saying you don't, I don't know you at all) or have any doubts then don't. The horse HAS BEEN RESCUED and is not in danger of being sent to slaughter. I don't want you getting hurt because this horse is dangerous - and he might very well be. If you do buy him, make sure you work him while other people are around.

He could be the sweetest horse in the world, you don't know.. and sometimes it just takes the right combination of factors to set those guys off.

Many of us think that it is very noble to rescue a horse that was abused or neglected, however what we don't realize that they do take extra care and definitely need extra precautions, and if we don't think about this, we might do more harm than good.

I'm really playing the devil's advocate here... I would also suggest talking to your trainer and definitely talk to this woman a whole bunch to get a feel for her as well.

JustDressageIt 01-26-2008 10:59 PM

Also, this guy is VERY underweight.. you'd be looking at a lot of vet fees (because I'd suggest you get your vet's opinion on how to bring him along to a healthy weight - you can't just stuff him full of food and hope he'll gain weight - that's likely to make him sick. A malnourished horse needs a proper feeding program to get him back up to a healthy weight.) and feed costs. Looks like his feet could use a trim too.
Overall I like the look of him. He is cute, and I think once he's brought up to weight he'll be a looker.
But his "cuteness" should be the last factor you look at when thinking of buying him...

BluMagic 01-27-2008 12:20 AM

Luckily, we took Blu in the summer. That helped with the time and effort I could put into him. I agree with the thinking long and hard. (I say this TOO much) Blu was also abused and neglected. You have to be willing to put in A LOT to care for a horse with such needs. And having both Janie Belle and Bo might cause some TLC issues but I don't think that will be a BIG deal. I, myself, have dealt with a few neglected horses and a horse given to me that had unknown traces of epilepsy....and had to be put down a while back. With the experience I have had I would definately say that horses that need special care, such as the neglected, abused, and handicapped, are very much different than the average horse! :wink:

I don't think slaughter will be an issue either. But its very sweet of you to be concerned.

Let us know if you have any questions! :-)

jazzyrider 01-27-2008 05:10 AM

i think he will come up lovely. looks like there is good potential there. but yeah, horses like this will have their share of issues but you can overcome them with time and a little knowledge of what you are dealing with. my wb was terrible on the beginning but patience and good technique have seen him come a long way in a short time

good luck with your venture if you choose to get him

*Bobbi Socks* 01-27-2008 10:08 AM

They wouldn't send him to slaughter is they rescued him.
My Thoroughbred was neglected & she had weight issues.
She would gain weight then lose it, gain it back lose it all.
She was also nervous and spooky from the lack of handling.

Its a big challenge.
Some neglected horses should just be companions.
If you are still looking for a beginners horse, I wouldn't buy a neglect case.
But on the other hand its your choice! :wink:

-Bobbi

horse_luver4e 01-27-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Bobbi Socks*
They wouldn't send him to slaughter is they rescued him.
My Thoroughbred was neglected & she had weight issues.
She would gain weight then lose it, gain it back lose it all.
She was also nervous and spooky from the lack of handling.

Its a big challenge.
Some neglected horses should just be companions.
If you are still looking for a beginners horse, I wouldn't buy a neglect case.
But on the other hand its your choice! :wink:

-Bobbi

No he won't be for my beginner students. He would just be a horse at my barn lol. I really want to get Phoenix for lessons, but I'll most likely get this Thoroughbred mare named Ocean she's free. Have you been up lately to see Phoenix? I rode her a month ago. Lol she'd be great for beginners becuase you have to beat her to trot! :lol: