The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Tell me about Jumpers! I ride hunters and am clueless (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/tell-me-about-jumpers-i-ride-55789/)

Jordan S 05-24-2010 09:20 PM

Tell me about Jumpers! I ride hunters and am clueless

So at my barn there are two trainers. My current trainer does the lesson program for people without a horse, which I'm in now, and my future trainer I will be working with when I get a horse of my own. My current trainer is really into hunters, equitation and sitting pretty, going into your corners is a BIG thing with her, she says corners are more important than the jumps themselves(She sometimes makes me do my course over and go into my corners).

So when I switch over to a more jumper side of the spectrum, will this be going against everything i've learned in hunters. Cutting big chunks out of corners, rushing jumps, making sharp barrel racing turns?? I know the basics are whoever does it fastest with the least faults wins, but anyone care to go into detail.

upnover 05-25-2010 10:14 AM

I was eavesdropping by the ingate when a big grand prix jumper was schooling her kid in the jumper ring (i wanted to listen to as much as I could from her!) and she said "get your work done in your corners and the jump will be there". You trainer is absolutely right when she says corners are important. It doesn't matter if you ride jumpers or hunters, get your work done in your corners! That's where you set your horse up for the jump. find your line to the jump, where you get on your pace, etc, approach is EVERYTHING. The difference is that your approach will be different from the hunter ring. You don't go to the end of the ring for your corner, you make your corner. But they are still extremely important!

It's not a completely different world from the eq world actually (which is why lots of big eq riders also do the jumpers and transfer so easily to the GP ring). Believe it or not, but jumpers is NOT about running around as fast as you can. Jumpers who just gallop around making everyone gasp drive me nuts. Sure, you might be successful at first, but once the fences are raised it'll bite you in the butt if you can't do more then that. Some of the best and fastest times have been from careful riders who could turn on a dime and jump on an angle.

So what's the difference? You're going to want your horse more on his haunch then long and low. Forget having a 12 foot stride everywhere, you put your horse on the stride that's needed in that part of the course. Which means your horse is going to have to be very adjustable and responsive. Flatwork is your best friend! You CANNOT be successful in the jumper ring without good flatwork.

Also, there's more then one kind of jumper class (they're called "tables"). It's not as simple as "whoever does it fastest w/o knocking rails" wins. Sometimes there's a jump off, sometimes not, etc. know your tables to know how to win the class! Let me know if that confuses you and I'll describe some tables!

ponyjocky 05-25-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upnover (Post 643183)
i was eavesdropping by the ingate when a big grand prix jumper was schooling her kid in the jumper ring (i wanted to listen to as much as i could from her!) and she said "get your work done in your corners and the jump will be there". You trainer is absolutely right when she says corners are important. It doesn't matter if you ride jumpers or hunters, get your work done in your corners! That's where you set your horse up for the jump. Find your line to the jump, where you get on your pace, etc, approach is everything. The difference is that your approach will be different from the hunter ring. You don't go to the end of the ring for your corner, you make your corner. But they are still extremely important!

It's not a completely different world from the eq world actually (which is why lots of big eq riders also do the jumpers and transfer so easily to the gp ring). Believe it or not, but jumpers is not about running around as fast as you can. Jumpers who just gallop around making everyone gasp drive me nuts. Sure, you might be successful at first, but once the fences are raised it'll bite you in the butt if you can't do more then that. Some of the best and fastest times have been from careful riders who could turn on a dime and jump on an angle.

So what's the difference? You're going to want your horse more on his haunch then long and low. Forget having a 12 foot stride everywhere, you put your horse on the stride that's needed in that part of the course. Which means your horse is going to have to be very adjustable and responsive. Flatwork is your best friend! You cannot be successful in the jumper ring without good flatwork.

Also, there's more then one kind of jumper class (they're called "tables"). It's not as simple as "whoever does it fastest w/o knocking rails" wins. Sometimes there's a jump off, sometimes not, etc. Know your tables to know how to win the class! Let me know if that confuses you and i'll describe some tables!

she couldnt have said anything better!

Spastic_Dove 05-25-2010 07:43 PM

I'm curious about what these "tables" are...

maura 05-25-2010 07:50 PM

The sections of the FEI rule book governing jumpers are called tables. Most of our local schooling jumper shows are Table II classes; which means you stay in the ring for your jump off round. You complete your round, cross the timers, wait for a signal from the stewards, and start your jump off. No need to salute the judges a second time.

Great for schooling jumpers, as it saves a warm up and allows you to show in a bunch of classes on the same day. Bigger classes are governed by a different table which dictates a separate jump off, Power and Speed is a separate table as well.

upnover 05-27-2010 03:20 PM

Maura did a pretty good job explaining.

The three most common tables I see are...

Table II Section 2(b)- aka "timed first jump off". this is probably the most common. You go and do your first round, if you're clean you stop and wait for the buzzer. When you hear the signal you do your jump off.

Table II Section 2(c)- what Maura (and most people) refer to as "power and speed". You do your first round and if you are clear IMMEDIATELY (without pausing) continue on to your jump off.

Table II Section 1- "time first round". There is no jump off. Whoever's fastest with the least number of faults wins.

Often at our schooling shows 1 class will be 2(b) and the 2nd will be 2(c). At most rated shows they usually change the table every day. So the first day's classes will be 2(b), 2nd day will be 2(c), etc. I've been to a few shows where they've done "blue ribbon classes" (not sure what table that is) where basically if you go clear you get a blue ribbon. And "optimum time" where they give you a certain number of minutes/seconds it should take you to finish the course. They hide the timer while you do your course and you get faults for the typical things, but also for however many seconds you are under OR over the time! that's a really tricky table b/c the "optimum time" isn't necessarily the fastest time. There's another table for "gambler's choice" where they give certain jumps a certain number of points. You go and make up your own course and try to get as many jumps in as you can under a specific allotted time. I think Puissance classes are Table II Section 6... the list goes on and on! Look up the chapter in the USEF rulebook on Jumpers. It's pretty interesting!

maura 05-28-2010 11:19 AM

Thanks, upnover! I tried to find the section in the rule book and couldn't at first glance.

upnover 05-28-2010 05:16 PM

here's a link! descriptions of tables are about halfway down...

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2006/18-JP.pdf

jumpercmv 05-28-2010 05:35 PM

jumping is really fun but it takes alot of practice and you cant be afraid to fall

Jordan S 06-03-2010 11:12 AM

I was at an A show in los angeles the other day and watched a jumpers competition. So I notice that they don't start the timer until halfway through the course. Why don't they just start it immediately when you come out. ?? why do they have to make it so complicated?? lol