The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Greying in older horses?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/greying-older-horses-55820/)

SabreBaby 05-25-2010 10:01 AM

Greying in older horses?!

I have a Mustang born in '06. She is Bay with two rear white stockings and a huge white blaze. Recently, I've noticed more and more random white hairs in her coat especially around her hip. Also, the insides of both of her front legs are basically turning white. I know that if she is greying, she's a really late greyer, but where would the greying generally begin, and do you think she will grey all the way out? :) I'll try to get pictures later today or tomorrow!! :) Thank you!

Speed Racer 05-25-2010 10:12 AM

She's only 4 y/o, so I'd hardly call her 'older'. :wink:

Sounds like she's roaning, not so much going completely grey.

SabreBaby 05-25-2010 10:22 AM

I know. :) I just meant 'older' as opposed to most horses who begin to grey in their first year. Sorry... :) I can see where you're coming from though. So horses roan also? They don't have to be born roan?

Speed Racer 05-25-2010 10:25 AM

No ma'am, they just need to have the roaning gene. Some horses don't roan until they're adults.

I know a black Arab stallion who has the roaning gene. He didn't start to roan out until a year or so ago, and he's 10 this year.

GoldSahara 05-25-2010 10:28 AM

That's really interesting. I just got an arab gelding who is in his 20's and he has heavy roaning in his fase and front legs only. Has anybody heard of a horse getting grey hairs when very old, kind of like a person going grey?

SabreBaby 05-25-2010 10:31 AM

Ohh. :) Very interesting. Thank you!! For some reason, roaning never occured to me. I'll have to go find some more info on that!

Speed Racer 05-25-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldSahara (Post 643197)
That's really interesting. I just got an arab gelding who is in his 20's and he has heavy roaning in his fase and front legs only. Has anybody heard of a horse getting grey hairs when very old, kind of like a person going grey?

Gold, that's probably not roaning so much as just greying like us old folks do! :wink:

My now deceased gelding started getting grey hairs in his tail and mane, as well as greying out around his muzzle and jowl areas when he got into his 20s. My 24 y/o gelding is now doing the same thing.

SabreBaby 05-25-2010 10:51 AM

I've been reading some things on other sites, and now I'm beginning to think she's rabicano, because she has the 'coon-tailing' (white bars) at the base of her tail. :)

Speed Racer 05-25-2010 10:56 AM

Rabicano is a type of roaning.

Definitely sounds like your girl is rabicano, if she has the 'skunk' or 'coon' tail. That's usually one of the primary signs.

CharliGirl 05-25-2010 11:08 AM

My little pinto pony Patches is starting to roan out in his hip/belly areas. He was 11 or 12 when this started. Sometimes it will shed out with extra currying, but for the most part it stays.

One of my geldings, Scotch, was born a roan. Each year he seems to get "roanier." Just looking at a picture from last summer, he looks lighter. He is going on 16 years though, so that may be the reason.