The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Any ideas... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/any-ideas-55823/)

TheRoughrider21 05-25-2010 10:51 AM

Any ideas...

of any games or training or anything that I can do with my yearling? I get lots of horse magazines but they all have to do with older horses that you can ride. I usually work on all the basics with my filly, (leading, backing, picking up feet, brushing, spraying, getting used to things) but I think its getting a little boring for both of us. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do thats fun and different than the normal? Thanks! =)

mbender 05-25-2010 11:12 AM

take her for walks. off the property too. do anything now that you can think of that will help her in the future with training. actually,,, anything you do everything you do with her is training. so make sure its positive or ends positive. throw saddle pads, throw a saddle on... get some treats have her follow you .. some tricks. put carrots low and in between her front feet and see if you can get her to bow. have fun with it.

rtdonell 05-25-2010 11:30 AM

Despooking. Walk the horse over things like a blue tarp, a piece of plywood, a metal surface, and differant highths like up a hill and then back your way down it. over logs and things. You can make a wall if pop cans hanging from strings to walk her threw. crack whips, plastic bag on a stick. basicly anything that is new to the horse that makes fast motion or nouse will help to desensatise it and teach it to think before reacting instictivly. All this will help alot when you get them out on the trail where anything can hapen.

Mingiz 05-25-2010 11:31 AM

Expose her to everything and anything you can...The last filly I raised I would toss a ball at her throw tarps on her and let her walk around with it. I just plain out agrravated her, but she took it all in and turned out to be a good trail horse without any refusal's. Good luck!!!:wink:

aforred 05-25-2010 02:13 PM

You have gotten some good ideas here. I like to make mini-trail courses. The bridge, water box, walk-overs and trot-overs especially. I also like to teach them to pivot on haunches and forehand, as well as sidepass, from the ground.

A great thing to do if you can is pony her. It gets her used to having someone above her, and it will let her try something new.

Let us know if you come up with some other ideas. I'm always looking for new things to do with my horses. =)

JekkaLynn 05-25-2010 02:18 PM

Get her use to vehicles and other animals. My old barn had a golf cart and we use to drive it around outside the paddocks and let the horses get use to the noise it made. We also had a flock of chickens that where always flapping around and flying up onto ledges.

TheRoughrider21 05-25-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aforred (Post 643388)
You have gotten some good ideas here. I like to make mini-trail courses. The bridge, water box, walk-overs and trot-overs especially. I also like to teach them to pivot on haunches and forehand, as well as sidepass, from the ground.

A great thing to do if you can is pony her. It gets her used to having someone above her, and it will let her try something new.

Let us know if you come up with some other ideas. I'm always looking for new things to do with my horses. =)

How do I get use to her being ponied? I have a horse that I can ride and would trust to ride bareback with just a halter but her and my filly dont get along the best. I dont want my filly to freak out when Im on the other horses back and I dont want the horse I'll be riding to try to kick her.

TheRoughrider21 05-25-2010 05:06 PM

I should add that she's a quick learner and will do almost anything for me. I've had her walk over metal gates that we had laying down, jumped around near her, walked her over branches in the pasture, walked her up and down hills(but never backed her), and other stuff like that. Thanks for the suggestions they're all really good and I'll try them out when I start feeling better.

aforred 05-25-2010 05:18 PM

I just saddle up and go. The first time, I only walk, and only do it for five or ten minutes. That way, you can see how they're going to react to moving together. If the horse you're riding is very responsive, it should be pretty easy to keep it under control. It will take your filly a while to get used to it, but with practice, she will probably come to love it.

The goal is to keep your filly's head next to your leg. I usually keep my hand about 18 to 24 inches down the rope from the halter. If you're worried that one of them (or both) are going to be a little antsy, you might put them in splint and/or bell boots. I like using bell boots, especially at first, so if they step on each other, no one will get hurt.

TheRoughrider21 05-25-2010 05:35 PM

Thanks again! I'll try that but first, I'll have to ride the mare first cause its been awhile since she has been rode. I just have one more question, you dont tie the lead rope around the horn right? cause i've seen some pictures where they're doing that and it looks dangerous.