The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   slowing down fast horse??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/slowing-down-fast-horse-55908/)

chika1235 05-26-2010 12:36 PM

slowing down fast horse???

i have a 4yr old tn walker/quarter horse mix mare.she loves to go fast and i do too but im wanting her to slow down. i have never got her to lope at all and i have a very hard time trying to slow down her trot. she has a very fast bumpy and hard to ride trot. and at a gallop she is fast and unbalanced. i know that this is partly because of her being half walker but im going to show her soon and i would like to have her slowed down. ive been working on collection with her flexing,trotting over ground poles,and trying to get her softened up. she is very responsive to me but when i ask her to slow down he throws her head up. it isnt because of the bit because im using a snaffle on her.any help would be great!!

Spyder 05-26-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chika1235 (Post 644307)
she loves to go fast and i do too

Part of your problem is here.

Quote:

and at a gallop she is fast and unbalanced. i know that this is partly because of her being half walker
Not really...just an excuse, they can slow down with proper training.

Quote:

but im going to show her soon and i would like to have her slowed down.
This takes time and you just can't decide to make the big effort this late and expect her to be ready for a show soon.

Quote:

ive been working on collection with her flexing,trotting over ground poles,and trying to get her softened up. she is very responsive to me but when i ask her to slow down he throws her head up. it isnt because of the bit because im using a snaffle on her.any help would be great!!
No...it isn't because of the bit, but because you need a hands on coach watching and guiding you before any attempt at CORRECT collection to work.

riccil0ve 05-26-2010 01:28 PM

What Spyder said. She knows her stuff.

I just want to add, POST SMALLER! Honestly, most every rider will post HUGE while trotting, which just encourages more movement from your horse while also throwing your lower leg off balance. So use your thigh muscles and post SMALL, your crotch should NOT come above the pommel of your saddle. Calm your mind, give her a little half-halt, and slow YOUR rhythm down.

ilovetoride 05-26-2010 01:41 PM

slowing down

We have a walker that has a beautiful slow lope, but in the last year we have lost it. I too, like to go fast and so does the mare. But I miss the slow rocking horse canter. All my cues were not working when she is in the gallop... check and release, 'easy, easy', etc. My friend told me when she is in the gallop and I didn't ask for it to simply stop her. We have worked on this a couple of days -starting and stopping, starting and stopping... and she now is back to the slow lope I love. Hope that helps.

flamingauburnmustang 05-26-2010 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=riccil0ve;644360]POST SMALLER!QUOTE]

This is actually very effective in controlling your horse's rythm and speed. I have been taught that when the horse is trotting too fast, instead of posting fast and going with the horse's movement, slow down your post and go against the horse's flow. This will unbalance the horse and the horse will usually try to match your posting so that they are balanced again.

I suggest you try this, along with some major chilling sessions with your horse. I am busy doing this with Night Heat at the moment because she is rather crazy in her head at the moment, and for a month I'm going to do some chilling schooling sessions to try and get her whole concentration.

Have you had a look at her feed? The feed can also make a major difference in a horse. :wink:

LoveStory10 05-26-2010 02:10 PM

Try half - halting, that usually works me :)

kevinshorses 05-26-2010 02:33 PM

Start slowing down at the walk before you try slowing down the trot or lope. You will find that she doesn't respond well at the walk. Ask her to slow down and don't release until her feet slow down. She may throw her head but don't give until she slows her feet. Repeat at all gaits.

5cuetrain 05-29-2010 04:59 PM

Comes down to gaining control of her feet. Seat pressure controls tempo--or posting if you do that.

Work on changing tempo with seat pressure. Learn about it if you don't already know.

Stopping a horse, well. Usually i want the horse to think "back up". Makes for a better stop in the long run. Controlling tempo and stride are usually the result of a good training program. One of the last phases of gaining control of their feet.

erikaharmony 05-29-2010 05:09 PM

When i first got my horse all she was used for was barrels and wasn't trained very well. She was moody and did not pay attention to me while riding, when i tried to do anything with her she would just go and getting her back to me was a mission. A year later i have worked with her and she still has her times where she doesn't want to hear any of it but i worked on connecting to her face so she can feel supported, a horse being unbalanced i don't think has anything to do with the breed, it takes training and training on your part to. You need to find your balance on her to help her find her balance. Connect to her face so when you ask her to trot or canter she can feel you holding her so she can extend out and not get unbalanced from trying to hold her self up. This will also help her collect and frame. Usually a horse tends to speed up because they are unbalanced. Atleast thats what my horse was doing.

Cougar 05-29-2010 05:30 PM

What also helps you to post smaller and slower is counting out loud to yourself. It may make you feel silly but it's really helpful in the starting stages when you are trying to break an old habit. Five years ago I was working on this with Cougar and I felt pretty goofy. It worked.