The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Why do people stand on horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/why-do-people-stand-horses-55909/)

ponyjocky 05-26-2010 12:17 AM

Why do people stand on horses?

why. why do people stand on horses? its not cute, it dosent make your horse look bom proof, it makes you look like a person who went "HURRRR DURRR DERP DERP I GONNA STAND ON THE HORSE"

Speed Racer 05-26-2010 01:20 PM

:clap::rofl:

My sentiments exactly!

Maybe not bomb proof, but it sure makes them look fairly idiot proof, since they have an idiot standing on their back!

I never really 'got it' either as a selling point. Just looks dangerous and stupid.

Delfina 05-26-2010 02:33 PM

Why do people go around posting rude comments towards others?

If someone wants to stand on their horse, I could care less. You won't find me standing on mine, but if someone else wants to stand on theirs... more power to them.

ptvintage 05-26-2010 02:38 PM

When I see ads for horses and there's a picture of someone standing on the horse's back, I lose interest in the horse immediately.

I'm not planning on using my horse to stand on, so I don't see it as a selling point.

MN Tigerstripes 05-26-2010 02:56 PM

LOL, I used to stand on my horses when I was a kid while trying to pretend to be a trick rider. I kept trying to get them to walk and they'd look at me like "freaking idiot, sit down and THEN I'll walk."

I don't understand it as a selling point though. I'd rather see a video of the horse loading calmly into a two horse straight load!

kevinshorses 05-26-2010 03:02 PM

People do it because it works. It's sad but if you go to a sale and the bidding slows down the person riding it will stand on the horses back and get two or three more bids. I used to sell a few horses every year at catalog horse sales and I taught my oldest son how to ride them in the ring and the last thing he would do is stand up on thier backs and we would get 2-300 dollars more because some fool thought it made the horse more broke. The fact is that the horse can't see you very well so they mostly don't know what you are doing anyway.

gypsygirl 05-26-2010 03:21 PM

i will occasionally do it for fun but i dont understand it as a selling point at all.... we have a few apple trees & scout will eat apples off & i will stand on his back & pick them high up the tree hah

Indyhorse 05-26-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptvintage (Post 644425)
When I see ads for horses and there's a picture of someone standing on the horse's back, I lose interest in the horse immediately.

I'm not planning on using my horse to stand on, so I don't see it as a selling point.

^^agreed. To me it's a very negative selling point, because it tells me a bit about the type of people that have been working with this horse :lol:

Speed Racer 05-26-2010 03:29 PM

Show me a horse walking over a tarp, through water, with a plastic bag being shaken in his face. If he's quiet through all of that, I'm buying him!

Standing on the horse tells me exactly nothing, except that someone either has a good sense of balance or low common sense.

My2Geldings 05-26-2010 03:43 PM

That is one good point. I had never thought about that. hmm....I guess horse owners take pride in being able to show their horse tolerates a lot more than your average horse?

The only time I've ever questioned it is when you can definitely tell that the horse is really not impressed with them doing it, but they are tolerating it.