The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Really bad case (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/really-bad-case-55928/)

damnedEvans 05-26-2010 04:06 PM

Really bad case

5 Attachment(s)
The horse is not mine, it's a new addition at the horse shelter were I'm volunteering. I can't take a decision by myself , it's not my power to do this. If it was my power I will put the horse down. But anyhow, I wanted to know if you'll give her some chances. Does she will be fine with proper care? She can be saved? It's a good decision to put her down?
I think that she will be put down soon. They don't want to do it if she has chances but it seems that the mare doesn't have to many chances.

Please, please only give opinions on her chances of survival and recover. We really do all that we can for her. We didn't put her down yet because we wait to hear some opinions from another vet that we called. He isn't in town right now and can't come yet. We don't have to many horse vets in the town, only 3 from what I know so we don't have many options.

Her story:

So, we saved this mare from the streets. Her former owners told us that she had a car accident, but I find this hard to believe. So the owner gave her to us. I can't imagine how a horse can rip of his right hoof to the bone in a car accident and accident himself on the opposite side, the left side. The wound from the left side seems to be like cuts. The mare doesn't have to many bruises or any broken bone. So I can't believe that she is in this state because of a car accident. I heard of a case like this when a horse ripped off his hoof to the bone in a rail road, the horse caught his hoof there. But this isn't the case.

When we were called to take the mare we didn't knew how bad his wound were. So we took her and then treat her. He is at us for 2 days already. She has another vet appointment soon, tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. We called another vet to take a decision on her. We treat her with the help of a vet. She is treated for the infection, her wounds are treated and cleaned daily, the bandages are changed daily and the wounds from the left side were stitched.

The wound from the hoof is horrible, the bone is visible there. One vet told us that the hoof wall will grow in half a year but I'm not really sure. Because of that we called another vet. I think that the best decision on her is to be put down. But it's not my right to take the decision.

The mare. She is skinny.
Attachment 32156

The wounds from the left side.
Attachment 32154

The hoof, or what remained from the hoof.
Attachment 32152

Attachment 32153

Attachment 32155

Lis 05-26-2010 04:12 PM

I'd have had her put down immediately. I know the vet said the hoof wall will grow back but it's going to take a long time and I doubt she will ever be sound again. I would also imagine she is in a lot of pain. I think it would be kinder to have her put down.

Speed Racer 05-26-2010 04:13 PM

That poor, wretched creature. :cry:

Thank whoever's in charge for taking her in and trying to make her comfortable.

I'd be very surprised if she pulls through, to be honest. With her having little to no body fat and that horrible wound to her foot, the odds are stacked against her.

Even if you can keep her alive and that foot bandaged to help relieve the pressure, she'll likely develop laminitis in the other 3 feet because she's trying to distribute her weight off the injured foot.

Horses need all of their feet in order to stay healthy. When you take one away, it throws their whole system off.

They're such big animals but so darned delicate, especially when it comes to their feet.

My opinion is to give her as much good food and hay as she can eat for several days, love on her and make her feel special, and then let her go.

Those pictures just break my heart.

themacpack 05-26-2010 04:17 PM

Poor girl - I think the kindest thing you could do for her would be to give her a quick passing.

damnedEvans 05-26-2010 04:30 PM

@ Speed Racer : We will wait until the other vet will come and see her. I think that he will say to put her down. But we want to have his opinion too and to know that we made all we can for the mare. She receives food all day long so she is happy from this point of view. Evidently that she doesn't seems to be in pain, but I know that horses will rarely show when they are in pain. She stand pretty still when we change her bandages and when we clean the wound. She is more nervous when she takes her shoots. She doesn't use the leg anymore, only for support when she tries to move. We really take in consideration the prosthesis option but the worse part is that the prosthesis are very very hard to find. So it seems that we are stuck at this point. The only option that seems viable is to put her down. We'll wait for the vet to decide.

@ Lis: Yes, even if she recovers she will not be sound anymore. But this isn't a problem. We have a lot of horses at the shelter that are just pasture ornaments so we don't mind to keep her even if she will not be sound. But we must take into consideration her chances before torture her any more. We will think at her comfort. So if the vet will tell us that we're just torturing her we will have her put down right away.

Thank you for the input, really appreciate it

JustDressageIt 05-26-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 644539)

I'd be very surprised if she pulls through, to be honest. With her having little to no body fat and that horrible wound to her foot, the odds are stacked against her.

Even if you can keep her alive and that foot bandaged to help relieve the pressure, she'll likely develop laminitis in the other 3 feet because she's trying to distribute her weight off the injured foot.

Horses need all of their feet in order to stay healthy. When you take one away, it throws their whole system off.

They're such big animals but so darned delicate, especially when it comes to their feet.

My opinion is to give her as much good food and hay as she can eat for several days, love on her and make her feel special, and then let her go.

This, a thousand times over.

ShutUpJoe 05-26-2010 05:12 PM

I saw a case like this on a website someone posted on here but can't remember what it was. They regrew the hoof wall with round the clock vet care which ended up costing a lot of money. I think it'd be kind for the horse to be put down, she looks downright miserable.

moonflower 05-26-2010 05:46 PM

moonflower

Hello. I,m so sorry to see such a pitiful sight. Horses depend on us so and this one has had a hard and abused life. I have seen this before with the mal-nourishment and the cuts and the hoof--just not as bad with the hoof. It really looks to me like she got caught in barrbed wire or even ----when a abusing owner trys to do the manever of tieing the foot to the saddle horn in order to throw them down as a method of controlling them if the horse is a little stubborn to whatever they wanted them to do. Some horrible people will throw a horse down and walk off and leave them tied up with the leg roped up to the saddle for a hour or so just to (break their spirit) so there is no more fight in the horse when they come back. Then the horse will fight uncontrollably thinking that it is dieing and therefore tear itself up on anything that is near. The foot will heal, she just needs alot of care and many hours of love and food and antibiotics. She seems to understand that you are helping her since she is co-operating so when you Dr her. She really deserves another chance at life to show her that all people are not horrible creatures. I have went around and turned people in when a horse gets so skinny or abused, so help her as much as possible. Your org. to help animals is soooo awsume. I wish I could find one in my area to help out.

Indyhorse 05-26-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 644539)

Yes, this. Can't say it any better.

That poor, poor girl. Bless you guys for taking her in, but this is one case beyond saving, IMO. See what your vet says, but if his opinion is to euthanize, give love her and let her go.

Chella 05-26-2010 07:18 PM

Yes feed her love her, give her all she needs, wants and more. Make it the best days of her life. I do believe life finds away. Give her a chance and bless you and everyone that is helping her. If in the end she doesn't make it she will have left knowing great kindness.