The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Warmblood... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/warmblood-5595/)

horsinaround13 01-27-2008 05:36 PM

Warmblood...

I have a warmblood cross, and I was wondering for all those who have either a warmblood or warmblood cross what size tree your saddle is. I have been looking for a saddle for SOOO long and cannot seem to find one that fits well enough. I never used to have this much trouble finding a saddle for him, but he has grown in the past two years, so my old saddle does not fit him. I am interested in getting the Bates Caprilli with changeable gullet system, but am not sure which gullet I will need to purchase. Thanks!

horse_luver4e 01-27-2008 05:41 PM

shouldn't this be in Horse Tack and Equipment?

JustDressageIt 01-27-2008 05:45 PM

I understand it being posted here I guess, as it is a question regarding a specific breed.. or rather a specific category of breeds...

It really really depends on the horse. I had a WB that was very TB-typey, and another WB that was as stocky as a QH, just multiplied a few times for height as well :) My (WB) gelding was a narrow tree and the other WB I mentioned was my trainer's stallion that I used to ride, and he was definitely a wide tree.
If you have a hard-to-fit horse, then definitely try the saddle out before you buy it. Do you have pictures of your horse that you can post to give us a better idea?

horsinaround13 01-27-2008 05:54 PM

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/2993_casso_1.jpg

JustDressageIt 01-27-2008 06:20 PM

He doesn't look to be too wide, so I'd suggest trying a medium tree, and go from there?
For example, saddle A and saddle B are both medium trees, but different brands. Horse A and horse B both fit medium trees, however saddle A might fit horse A perfectly, and be completely wrong for horse B.. and vice versa... so it is a hard question!!
Another thing you might do is visit your local tack store and see if they offer a saddle-fitting program. They'll ask lots of stats about your horse, then someone will come to your barn with 5-10 different saddles that they think might work and you can try them all then and there.

jazzyrider 01-28-2008 07:09 PM

i agree that it should be tack & equipment so i have moved it there.

you definitely need to try before you buy and i would start with a medium and go from there. my warmblood is 17.3h and rather wide and he has a medium tree. it isnt interchangeable but the saddle has a very wide pommel and it fits him beautifully. different saddles have different shapes so you really need to look at them all and try them out if you can

tayahswirl 01-30-2008 03:39 PM

I ride & show my trainers warmbloods, and it really just depends on the horse... some are wide & some are narrow, but more of them are wide-trees...It's not really a breed thing, more of how the horse is built..