The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   help he never gets clean!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/help-he-never-gets-clean-5597/)

Phantomcolt18 01-27-2008 06:25 PM

help he never gets clean!!!

I have a white horse who is always getting dirty(as horses do) but if i use a shampoo that has petrolyum in it it keeps him clean for a little bit. But the effectiveness of the shampoo wore out after a while(his coat became immune to it i guess because it doesn't do the same thing it used to). i've tried everything but i cannot find a good shampoo for white horses. any suggestions. also i would like to know if anyone had any suggestions on like a spot remover for in between baths. thanks so much.

Vidaloco 01-27-2008 06:30 PM

Not sure of the weather where you are but you could just keep a sheet on him all the time.

twinkle_toes 01-27-2008 08:46 PM

I have a white pony also and understand the challenge :lol: . I usually use orvis and quick silver on her body but this doesn't always work. I have a friend with a white horse who has a "recipe" that gets out any stain. Trust me t works. I'll try to get it and post it up here. Also for tails use something called FanciFull. It is a human hair product for little old ladies with white hair. A little bit gets the mane and tail sparkling. Finally, if you just can't get the stain out use Shapeley's Show Touchups in white- it is kind of like spray paint for horses and it really does work :D

I am also open to new ideas!

kim_angel 01-28-2008 09:07 AM

Cowboy Magic does a nice job too.
Comes in spray and shampoo

Phantomcolt18 01-28-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco
Not sure of the weather where you are but you could just keep a sheet on him all the time.

i would but he uses everything he can to rip them up. nails, the fence, the barn anything he can rub up on them he drags it around the field with his teeth. its just a huge waste of money (i've gone through about 4 of them) and i live in new jersey so pretty moderate weather.

Jr_lover 01-28-2008 04:35 PM

Yea i say go with Kim_Angel i use cowboy magic at my barn although i don't have a white horse he still gets dirty but supposedly cowboy magic makes it so that when they get dirt on them it wont stick and you can just wipe it off.

twinkle_toes 01-28-2008 08:57 PM

um we use wisk and then we make a mixture of like shimmer lights (it's human shampoo, 3-5 pumps), mrs stewarts blueing shampoo (6-10 drops, watch out it stains if you use too much), orvus (makes up half of the solution in the shampoo bottle), and put it all in an empty shampoo bottle and put water in it and then shake it to mix it, and then we used white minx old lady hair rinse for his tail and it made his tail like amazingly white :D

kchfuller 02-08-2008 04:41 PM

i think the stuff is called fanciful .. it is old lady hair die or shampoo stuff .. it comes in a grey bottle with purple writing and they have it at longs here ... we would use it before shows to get our horses really crisp white :)
hope that this helps some!

arastangrider 02-24-2008 01:02 AM

woolite I swear it works great even with cold water and it doesn't irritate if it doesnt get all washed out

Supermane 02-24-2008 01:18 AM

I used Quicksilver on my first pony, he was a cremello... and for shows I cheated and dabbed baby powder on like concealer, that works really well.
Rio Vista Hi Hoe Silver and regular old laundry detergent (without bleach!) also work.
Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover is good for little stains.