The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Which is harder? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/harder-55988/)

klutzygirl234 05-27-2010 09:17 AM

Which is harder?

Hey! Some friends and I have been wondering which is easier to ride, western or english. All of us ride english and we wanted to know about what you guys think (those who have rode both of course). Thanks for your time! :D

themacpack 05-27-2010 09:19 AM

You can't really quantify a difficulty that would be a fair comparison.

klutzygirl234 05-27-2010 09:28 AM

Speed Racer 05-27-2010 09:33 AM

In order to ride well in any discipline, there is a degree of difficulty no matter which one you choose.

I don't think any of them are 'harder' or 'easier' than any other, if you're riding correctly and have taken the requisite professional lessons.

It's the people who have never taken a lesson who crow about how 'easy' something is. Meanwhile, they have horrible posture, ride in a chair seat, yank on their horse's mouth constantly, and flop all over the place. All that really is easy, since riding correctly and softly takes time and effort.

klutzygirl234 05-27-2010 09:52 AM

Very well put. Thanks :)

Chella 05-27-2010 10:00 AM

I think the way you first learn will be the easiest. I grew up neck reining now I am trying to direct rein and I feel like an idiot. Its like skiers trying to snowboard and vice versa. My friend rides English and for the life of her she can't balance western. Then again maybe we are less coordinated than some:wink:

Speed Racer 05-27-2010 10:13 AM

True Chella, we learn best what we learn first. :-)

Doesn't mean we can't learn another discipline, as long as we put our minds and hearts into it.

I ride an English balanced seat. I tried Western. I sincerely do not like the saddles, because they throw me out of my 'proper' English position and I feel like there's too much leather between me and the horse.

I can fake it enough to ride in a Western saddle, but I don't really know any Western disciplines.

Chella 05-27-2010 10:22 AM

Those skinny stirrup leathers throw me forward LOL!!! and I can't fake it!
Off to the barn now to try:? wish me luck.

goldilockz 05-27-2010 10:40 AM

Neither is more difficult than the other, they are simply different. As previous posters mentioned, usually the one you learn first will seem easier, and then trying to switch can sometimes be challenging.

Delfina 05-27-2010 10:53 AM

I started Western and switched to English, so right now I'd tell you English is WAY harder (as I am hobbling around, telling the Dressage instructor that I wasn't in any pain yet, was a BAD idea).

Now my 6yr old started with English and dang, she's up there in the perfect position, making it look sooooo easy but then she didn't spend a ton of time riding around in a Western saddle which forces your legs way farther forward than you want while riding English. She started off being placed in the proper position and having the instructor reset her position every time she lost it.

Age has an affect also, I'm not *old* but my muscles and joints do not respond like they did 20 years ago! I wish they did but no......