The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   my horse is being stupid again....rears and bucks (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-horse-being-stupid-again-rears-5604/)

cheethamz17 01-27-2008 11:59 PM

my horse is being stupid again....rears and bucks

my thoroughbred used to be a total idiot he would throw his head around and have it really hight in the air when i rode him and wouldnt have a nice walk he would jog and do little rears and pig root type things and just generally stuff around the he hurt his fetlock about im not sure 6 months ago maybe after he had healed and was okay to ride he was an angel then a rode him again about a onth ago i guess and now hes a total idiot again i dont know whats happened and i did a jump and he rushed to it then bucked as he landed i think that may be because he is stil sensetive on his sore leg? does any1 know anything that might help him go back to being an angel im going away to school soon and i can take my horse there...i can even do an equine course! yay but i might not take him for the first term anyway that probly makes not sense at all but if any1 has any ideas about keeping him calm or anything would be great

Bitless 01-28-2008 12:32 AM

Well being a tb he may have a natural fizz anyway, but still thats no excuse for being that silly.

Has he been checked all over to mak sure he isnt hurting any were? If not do that before you do anything else.

Also maby jumping him when he is like this is not the best idea, it will possibly make things alot worse for you as far as his behaviour is concerned.

There are natural remedys out there for calming but i dont know anything about them.

Also make sure you are staying as calm as possibly when you ride him. As soon at you jump on you should be clam. If you are getting nurvous ,even slightly he will pick up on it.

cheethamz17 01-28-2008 12:37 AM

well i feel like i am riding with complete confidence in him he was doing little reary things n i calmed him down and was walking with out sturrips so im confident in him n calm. my sister is the vet so i will get her to come out and give him a check asap. i think hes fine but because hes had a bit of time off riding he liked not being ridden so wants to annoy me so i get off. but thanks anyway ill give my sister a ring

Vidaloco 01-28-2008 08:40 AM

Sounds like maybe he isn't being ridden a lot. I used to have a ottb that if you didn't do some ground work before you got on she would be a holy terror. You might try working him a bit before you ride just to "get the fresh off". I think you should try to take him with you to school and work him as much as possible within their equine studies program.

horsecrazy29 01-28-2008 10:29 AM

KK,
WHY is it the horse is being stupid???????????????
Are you doing enough ground training, spending time with him, manner training????????

Or is he being used just once in awhile?

LOTS of horses act like this without proper training, proper excersie. TH NEED excersie I own one and I can tell when I miss a day just taking her for a walk. They are just plain high energy horses, nothing wrong with that different types of horses for different folks.

I would work with your horse on the ground and make sure hes worked, I know I see a change.

G and K's Mom 01-28-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsecrazy29
KK,
WHY is it the horse is being stupid???????????????
Are you doing enough ground training, spending time with him, manner training????????

Or is he being used just once in awhile?

Glad you said it..........

It isn't the horse.

If I read your post correctly it seems he's had a month off and then you jumped back on?

Bringing a horse back from no work or an injury should be started on the ground first and done slowly. Get your longe line out and work him with that for a week or so.

LuLu 01-29-2008 01:42 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth Horsecrazy :) If he has had that much time off, then you need to start things gently and gradually build up again! Echo the others, do ground work with him, spend time with him and definatly get him checked over by a vet!! As he might still be in pain!!

Bucky's Buddy 01-29-2008 06:47 PM

I just started riding a 7 year old QH who looks like a TB and he can act like one too! Our first ride was quite the experience.........he got all fizzy on me and reared. It felt like I was sitting on a loaded barrel of TNT! I don't get on him as much as I wish I could, but I can tell you that he's already gotten better. We came to an understanding that if he didn't rear I wouldn't make him do tight circles. He still gets fizzy, but with work he has calmed down. All this to say, give it time and be persistent. Do as much as you can with him on the longe, on the ground, and in the ring. Alot of easy walk/trot work, lots of circles and serpentines. He will come around. I know Buck acted like that because he didn't know me and hadn't been ridden in over a year. We have alot to work on, but I can say he has come along well so far in just a few weeks. I agree with all the others that it's a good idea to make sure all injuries are well healed and nothing hurts. :D