The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   A funny thing happned on the way back from the barn... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/funny-thing-happned-way-back-barn-56054/)

iridehorses 05-28-2010 08:32 AM

A funny thing happned on the way back from the barn...

Well the ribs finally healed enough to give the new mare a ride. I’ve been working her for the past two months from the ground and she’ been fine but I’ve never ridden her. In fact I’ve never even seen her ridden except in a video. Yesterday was the day. I only intended to saddle her and work her on a lunge then ride her today. She was so good that I decided to put my foot in the stirrup to see what she would do – nothing. It was at least close to 9 months since she was last ridden but she moved off my cues like she was ridden yesterday.

Well, we rode out in the field for a bit at a walk and I got off and on her a few times to see how she would react. No problem. We headed back to the barn so that I could turn her out. We are working on ground tying and she is pretty good at it. I removed her saddle and pad, took off her bridle and put on her halter, all by the tack room in the “common” area of my dirt floor barn. My tack room is a step down from the common area and I was only there for a few moments when she decided to wonder – we’re still working on ground tying, as I said.

Anyway, I wanted to correct her right away so I was a little hasty trying to get out of the tack room and grab her lead rope. Now, since my tack room is a step down, to get out you have to step up. In my haste, I didn’t quite clear the step and gravity took over. Did I mention that the other mare likes to use the dirt area in front of the tack room to pee? Well my hands were out in front of me trying not to make this as messy as it could be but when the palm of my hands hit the pee soaked dirt, they slid like they were on ice. My 200 lbs followed and I continued my slide until nearly all of me was skidding on that dirt and soaking up whatever was left of the pee. Latter, I found that dirt in the pockets of my shirt, my jeans, and even under my wedding ring. Meanwhile, Jackie was watching this with total disregard. The only thing on her mind was the treat that always follows her workout.

By the time my family got home I was showered and my clothes were in the wash. No one needed to know. 8)

You all must have some funny stories about your horses …. Let’s hear them!

kevinshorses 05-28-2010 10:53 AM

When I was about nine years old my dad and I were moving some cows through some brush. I was riding a pony cross gelding that was pretty herd sour and had a strong streak of ignorant like most ponies. My dad was up ahead as I was coming through some cedars. one branch knocked my hat off and as I tried to catch it another branch caught me right under the nose. Since the branch was as big around as my arm there wasn't much bend to it and since the pony could see my dad ahead there wasn't much stop in the pony so that branch peeled me off the saddle by my nose. As soon as I hit the ground I yelled "catch my horse" which alerted my dad to what had happened and told him I wasn't hurt too bad at the same time. I had a pretty nasty scratch on my face but we laughed about that for years. The next time that pony didn't want to stop he got a rude awakening.

Jhinnua 05-28-2010 02:35 PM

When I was younger I spent a couple weeks at a guest ranch every year, for their camp. I was riding this Fjord cross mare named Fancy. I had a love-hate relationship with that horse. She had a tendency to be a stubborn fool.

I can't remember clearly anymore if we were riding bareback or if I was in a saddle at the time (I think it was saddle)... but what I do remember is asking her to go from a walk to a stop. Next thing I knew I was on the ground. I had swung right over her head and landed on my rear, reins still in my hands. To this day I'm not sure how the hell it managed to happen, because the mare didn't do anything but do what I asked and it's not like we were walking fast.

corinowalk 05-28-2010 02:59 PM

10 years ago I had started out with a new instructor. She was kind and sweet and super knowledgeable. After a few lessons, she wanted me on a lunge line bareback to help with my balance issues. I was on the oldest, slowest plug of a horse I had ever ridden and was a bit embarrased by my instructors choice. So were trotting on the line, no reins, no stirrups, no nothing and im bored to tears. My mind starts to wander and I look out on the pasture to see what my horse was doing. Sheila (my instuctor) said 'Cori...are you even paying attention?' Before I knew it, I was on the ground. I laughed so hard I almost wet myself. Apparently its not my balance that is my problem, its my attention span! To this day my girls tease me..."Cori...grab your helmet...its time to ride grey-boy." Hes 34 :oops:

farley 05-28-2010 03:50 PM

oh boy i have some great stories but one is most memeriable when i was younger my best friends grandparents bought a horse and they let me ride her she was a four yr paint just beautiful named zoey i rode her for three years until she was kicked by another horse forcing the family to let her go. which is another reason why this is one of my favorate stories. my friend and i would take the horses out nearly everyday for trial rides. we would ride to the creek and through the hay and corn fields that we always got into trouble for, we also would usaully ride through the thicket and one day we decided to stop for lunch in the shade, we both sat behind our saddles and let the horses graze while we snacked on chips an soda, well my friends saddle got pooped on by a bird which we both found hilarious but then all of a sudden something glooped on to my face from up above and my friend started laughting so hard i swore she was going to fall right off the back of her horse as i reached up and touch my face i was discussed to find that a bird had pooped right or my cheeck!!! it was the most embarrasing thing ever!!

but we did get some pretty good laughs outa that day, which started with killer turkeys, and trolls under the bridge and the spooky lammas down the street and to finish it with being pooped on lol

Walkamile 05-28-2010 04:31 PM

Iride, sorry but I couldn't stop from laughing! That was great! Can only image what Jackie was thinking!

Several years ago I had trailered to a friends to go trailriding. I was using my english saddle then, so I had a bucket to stand on to mount. Now, remember that T is an appy, and I always conditioned her mane and tail to be sure to keep what little she had from tangling and breaking. I was actually quite proud of what mane she had due to my due diligence.

As I started to mount, left foot going into the stirrup and right starting to push off to swing over, left rein in left hand and right hand with a good hold of mane......yup, T took a huge side step to the right.

My bucket tipped just enough that it went over and I lost all control and down on the ground I went on my back.....and yes, a handful of precious mane in my hand! That upset me more than actually hitting the ground!

What did my sweet T do? She looked down at me with such concern as if to say, "Oh dear Tess, are you quite all right?" The wench!

Of course, my friends couldn't contain themselves at the spectacle of me on my back with T's mane in my hand. Actually, neither could I.

Delfina 05-28-2010 04:56 PM

My sister-in-law was showing me how to lunge my horse. She warned me multiple times to be very careful while swinging the end of the lunge line because there's a hard donut and if you hit yourself in the knee it really hurts. So was was veerrrry careful not to hit myself in the knee..... no I hit myself in the head and knocked myself out. My horse was standing over me trying to figure out why the silly human was lying on the ground.

Couple days later, she and I yanked out some metal garden fencing (a previous tenant thought the arena was a great spot for a vegetable garden) and she told me to fold it up so we could haul it to the dump. Well, I was trying to fold it up, keep an eye on my kids and what my horse was up to.... I stepped on one end of it, the other end came up, smacked me in the head and I went flying.

Won't even mention the MULTIPLE times I have fallen over the salt blocks in the corrals (the ones that have always been in the same exact spot).

It's been deemed that I am much safer ON a horse than standing on my own two feet.

ilyTango 05-28-2010 05:01 PM

One story my dad told us was: when they were little, he and his sister got a horse-an old, bombproof nag of a thing; well, they didn't do the saddle up tight enough and when the sister (my aunt) got on the saddle slid right over and she ended up basically sliding so she was upside down underneath the horse then she fell off. The horse just stopped and stood there and started eating grass. I wish I could've seen it. I would've been laughing so hard.

Walkamile 05-28-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 646382)
My sister-in-law was showing me how to lunge my horse. She warned me multiple times to be very careful while swinging the end of the lunge line because there's a hard donut and if you hit yourself in the knee it really hurts. So was was veerrrry careful not to hit myself in the knee..... no I hit myself in the head and knocked myself out. My horse was standing over me trying to figure out why the silly human was lying on the ground.

Couple days later, she and I yanked out some metal garden fencing (a previous tenant thought the arena was a great spot for a vegetable garden) and she told me to fold it up so we could haul it to the dump. Well, I was trying to fold it up, keep an eye on my kids and what my horse was up to.... I stepped on one end of it, the other end came up, smacked me in the head and I went flying.

Won't even mention the MULTIPLE times I have fallen over the salt blocks in the corrals (the ones that have always been in the same exact spot).

It's been deemed that I am much safer ON a horse than standing on my own two feet.

Still Laughing from the visuals on this one! Thanks for the laugh. I bet it's never dull around you! ;)

Jhinnua 05-28-2010 05:05 PM

Oh, Delfina you just reminded me of the other day.

I couldn't stop tripping. Some of the horses were out on the lawn eating grass and I guess one of them was in heat and wandered over to the stud pen. I'd just come back outside. I went to step off the stairs and ended up falling down them instead. Then I got up and took two steps... fell down a slight hill. After I managed to get the horse and drag it back to the other two I went to sit down and almost fell down yet again.