The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   whats a good multi vitamin (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/whats-good-multi-vitamin-56086/)

Gidget 05-28-2010 03:33 PM

whats a good multi vitamin

I was wondering what you guys would recommend as a good multi vitamin for the horses. I did use Ultra Guard. Is there anything else.Something not super pricey would be nice as well since I have a big ol' vet bill i'm working on.

vivache 05-29-2010 02:08 AM

Try not to give an excess of supplements-- they can do more harm than good.

Since your horse has had back/joint and tummy issues, things like a joint supplement and something like SmartDigest from SmartPak might help. They make good stuff and are very helpful. They take the work out and pre-measure everything.

loosie 05-29-2010 03:03 AM

Hi,

I appreciate you don't want to spend much - who does! But unfortunately, you do tend to get what you pay for and while you can get some cheap supp, this often equates to money down the drain, as they are not well balanced & generally not what they say they are on the packaging.

It depends what he's getting in his feed as to what he may need, so at least a basic diet analysis is a good first move, to make sure you're not wasting your money supping quantities he doesn't need. I use a (cheap) service/program called feedxl.com for this, and it's actually saved me money, besides saving me headaches & confusion, besides enabling me to keep my horses healthier than they've ever been.

With regards to price, while analysing heaps of different supps has led me to believe you get what you pay for, you may find the more expensive ones *per package* are not so pricey in reality after all. Eg. after using Feedxl.com I found a supp that would be perfect for my boys in their situation, but nearly fell over backwards when the feed store guy said it was $170/20kg!:shock::shock: But upon further calculations, I shocked him, by asking him to order it for me after all:lol: - turns out I only had to feed about half the 'recommended amount' which equated to a huge feed of... 1 single handful per horse! So it actually works out to only about $1.20 per day for my 3 horses!

Gidget 05-30-2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivache (Post 646698)
Try not to give an excess of supplements-- they can do more harm than good.

Since your horse has had back/joint and tummy issues, things like a joint supplement and something like SmartDigest from SmartPak might help. They make good stuff and are very helpful. They take the work out and pre-measure everything.

Hey,I remember you reading some threads about my horse.
She is doing great but I just want to keep her as healthy as possible without breaking the bank. I'm not totally made of money where I can throw out a couple hundred dollars at once. I suppose I could save up for expensive brand:? Eh, anyways I have heard of those brands and a lot of people have said many good things about it so I will check it out.

Thanks.

Peggysue 05-30-2010 08:32 AM

What is her TOTAL diet now?? Wieghts if possible

Vidaloco 05-30-2010 08:58 AM

If your horse is getting good quality grass/hay and a complete feed, there really isn't a need for extra stuff.
Ours are on good grass and a trace mineral block right now. I feed them each one Majesty Omega wafer every day. Saro gets the flex, everyone else the Omega Majesty's Animal Nutrition - Home Page They aren't very expensive.

Gidget 05-30-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelg4life (Post 647446)
in the future if you want to get this cheaper all you have to do log on www.onealwayshealthy.my4life.com and registered as a costumer is free and you will get a # and you get this products a lot cheaper , and you may also can go a help someone else in the future thanks gidget for giving me the opportunity to help you with your information needed it God bless you .

:) thank you

Gidget 05-30-2010 02:59 PM

Right now I give her 2-4 flakes of alfalfa grass mix. Sometimes the flakes are small so I double it if they aren't big. I also give her a bran mash to mix her probiotic in. I get it through my vet. It's in a pellet form and she gets one scoop a day..I would say it's a tbl spoon and a half. She also gets salt and canola oil in her mash. She also gets put on pasture.

vivache 05-30-2010 03:05 PM

Bran mash is not good. Can you get her a grain? All of the horses I've met get a bit of senior feed, even if they don't need it, because it tastes yummy and mixes well with supplements.

Gidget 05-30-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivache (Post 647672)
Bran mash is not good. Can you get her a grain? All of the horses I've met get a bit of senior feed, even if they don't need it, because it tastes yummy and mixes well with supplements.

The vet said I can not put her on any grain. I could see about some LMF...One has no grain in it...I will call them up. It's really hard to find something to mix her supplements in. I used the bran mash to help the probiotics stick so she would eat it all with out possibly dropping some since it's really small.

What about some apple sauce?