The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Horse: Advice?

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Cheval 
#1 ·
Yesterday I completed the trade for a 6 year old Reg. Paint mare (They took my preg. grade pony mare). The Paint has no manners and can't grasp the concept of "my space, your space." Walking her from the round pen to the barn last night was a nightmare. I had to push on her neck the entire time to keep her off of me. This afternoon we are starting in on her ground work (free longing, walking in hand, the basics) Does any one have any advice on other things to try?

#2 ·
I'd recommend Clinton Anderson "Gaining Respect on Ground" (1st part).

#3 ·
She may have just been nerved up from the change in location/handler. Give her a few weeks and do the ground work you stated and let us know how she goes. Clinton Anderson does a great job on gaining respect training too.

#5 ·
kitten_Val said:

Absolutely agree!! I just got my first horse. The CA "Gaining Respect" part I series is excellent. You will soon have a respectful, willing horse and it's not hard at ALL.

Why would you use a chain?!!! :( Get the horse to use his BRAIN....to think first. And you'll have a kind respectful horse. Good luck!

#6 ·
.Delete. said:
Try a chain lead. Thats what i did with my pony.
im really sorry but im tired of hearing that a lot of peoples answers to things revolve around unnatural devices. they simply arent needed and the sooner people realise we dont have to bully our horses into doing things the better off we will be. it comes down to speaking your horses language and working with what he understands.

to the OP, groundwork and building respect will help see you through the problems. whether it be clinton anderson, frank bell, pat parelli or any number of other credible horsemen, you will find the techniques you will learn enable you to get maximum result from your horse without using any mechanical/unnatural devices and clinton anderson is very easy on the eyes so it makes it all the more enjoyable lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#8 ·
Thank you for saying this jazzy!!
Yes why bully or use tons of training aids, make your horses willing to work not trying to FORCE them.

Also to throw this type of aide *the chain* can do some serious harm to any horse in a new horseman's hands. Not to be rude but gotta be careful on who and what you refer people to.

jazzyrider said:
.Delete. said:
im really sorry but im tired of hearing that a lot of peoples answers to things revolve around unnatural devices. they simply arent needed and the sooner people realise we dont have to bully our horses into doing things the better off we will be. it comes down to speaking your horses language and working with what he understands.

to the OP, groundwork and building respect will help see you through the problems. whether it be clinton anderson, frank bell, pat parelli or any number of other credible horsemen, you will find the techniques you will learn enable you to get maximum result from your horse without using any mechanical/unnatural devices and clinton anderson is very easy on the eyes so it makes it all the more enjoyable lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#12 ·
I love the techniques of Clinton Anderson and Pat Parelli... maybe try walking and having the horse follow and swing the lead rope beside you.... if she gets to close she'll run into the lead rope and pretty soon she'll learn her lesson.... I saw it on RFDTV from Pat Parelli and I tried it on a pushy horse and it worked!!

#13 ·
I prefer rope halters to chain leads but I have used both under different circumstances. For the last two days Rosie and I have been taking walks from the barn to the round pen in the morning and the opposite at night. This has helped us undersand each other a bit better. Last night Rosie also got her first lesson in longing. She did much better than I thougth she would.

#14 ·
jazzyrider said:
.Delete. said:

I'm sure for some horses they are necessary, bully horses need the extra punishment or whatever you feel the need to call it. Chained lead ropes, first off, aren't even really an unnatural device. Have you ever watched showmanship, so to say? They use chained leads on their horses and those horses excel. Not every horse can be fixed by handy dandy Clinton. Yeah, I like him and all and I agree with him and all, but his videos can't exactly fix every horse. Chains do work incredibly well, for me at least. And it probably worked for me because I'm not a world renowned horse trainer.

#15 ·
OMG, again the discussion about the chains...

#16 ·
Hmm I don't agree. You can take a stallion and teach it without a lead. I have had a stallion that when you put his leather halter on he knew it was time to be a stud the nylon halter ment he had to lay low.

I don't understand why people think bullying, harsh techniques get through to a horse. You can beat a horse into submission mentally or physically but you know what SOME DAY that horse is gonna give you the horsey finger and turn on you. Cause the respect was NEVER there. To get respect from a horse you gotta give it.

Different strokes for different folks but telling people to go to this and that (which can be harsh things) can be dangerous to the person and the horse! No one knows anyones skill level here for fact, putting things out like that is hazardous no matter how you look at it.

Also you get through better when your post are less arrogant!

#17 ·
Completely agree with horsecrazy. As long as there is no respect involved horse will find a moment anyway to do something bad (run into human in pasture, for example). Harsh devices don't fix the problem...

#18 ·
kitten_Val said:
I agree 110%
Clinton Anderson's videos taught me a better way to work with my horse. I dont use intimidation, fear and painful ways anymore like I did when I was younger. Now I have learned that I can teach them how to respect me without fearing me as a predator.

#19 ·
horsecrazy29 said:
Hmm I don't agree. You can take a stallion and teach it without a lead. I have had a stallion that when you put his leather halter on he knew it was time to be a stud the nylon halter ment he had to lay low.

I don't understand why people think bullying, harsh techniques get through to a horse. You can beat a horse into submission mentally or physically but you know what SOME DAY that horse is gonna give you the horsey finger and turn on you. Cause the respect was NEVER there. To get respect from a horse you gotta give it.

Different strokes for different folks but telling people to go to this and that (which can be harsh things) can be dangerous to the person and the horse! No one knows anyones skill level here for fact, putting things out like that is hazardous no matter how you look at it.

Also you get through better when your post are less arrogant!
I couldn't have said it better myself! I love the part about the horsey finger! Chains are unnecessary. And natural means that it's a natural thing for horses, honestly nothing metal is natural, especially something that restricts and pinches on the nose. Respect is a good thing to have, especially with a 1000+ pound animal. If they don't respect you it's a matter of time until you get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.