The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Yes? No? Maybe? Sorta? UGH!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/yes-no-maybe-sorta-ugh-56124/)

coelh102 05-29-2010 07:12 AM

Yes? No? Maybe? Sorta? UGH!!

5 Attachment(s)
What do you guys think? I am getting the vet out Tuesday but do you think it's prego or no prego? Sorry I didn't get a shot of the udder but it's swollen on both sides and it expresses clearish white sticky liquid and I thought it was just the lush grass so I took her off the grass for a week and it's still growing slowly but steadily if that makes sense? Usually they are flat and even last year when it was the grass, it never got this big. Also her tummy is set back and low. Like if you stood her up she would have a women's prego belly. Sorry the pics suck!

oh and I had a stallion in with her the past year and sold him in February.

MaggiStar 05-29-2010 07:21 AM

She does look slightly pregnant but she is not huge.

However the white liquid coming out of the teats suggests she is. My old pony however bagged up when she was in season.

MacabreMikolaj 05-29-2010 12:53 PM

I'm going to say no. Mostly because you sold the stud in February, and horses are not "typically" receptive in winter months. So to have been bred, and to be actually developing an udder that's producing fluid already, she would have had to be bred last summer sometime and should be obviously showing. If she was bred in August/September which is almost the VERY latest they are receptive, she should be almost due to foal (11 months roughly takes you to May/June). And if she was bred in February right before he was sold, she shouldn't be showing ANY udder signs yet.

What did the vet say? Why did you have him out if you didn't get him to check a mare you think is pregnant enough to possibly give birth in a month? :-|

coelh102 05-29-2010 06:46 PM

The vet is coming out tuesday due to the holidays and all. I had the stud 3yrs then decided I'm not going to breed so I sold him around February. But like I said, I was just wondering what people thought, the vet will be out Tuesday for a palpation.

mom2pride 05-30-2010 12:40 AM

i don't know...in some ways she just looks 'chubby', especially when you take into account that her sides disappear when you look from the rear...a mare won't carry baby that far down unless she's close to foaling. But she is hanging down low...could be hay/grass belly though, or just a lack of tone in her stomach.