The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Starting Parelli and Lunging... What Will I Need? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/starting-parelli-lunging-what-will-i-56143/)

AngelWithoutWings54 05-29-2010 03:34 PM

Starting Parelli and Lunging... What Will I Need?

For Parelli I know that I need a rope halter, a 12' Lead rope, and a lunging whip or carott stick.

For lunging I need a lunging cavesson, lunge whip, and a lunge line.

Do I need anything else for either one?

Spyder 05-29-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelWithoutWings54 (Post 646983)
For Parelli I know that I need a rope halter, a 12' Lead rope, and a lunging whip or carrot stick.

Which are you doing, for correct lunging and Parelli are in two different worlds.

CharliGirl 05-29-2010 09:48 PM

Parelli doesn't recommend lunging in circles. Lateral lunging, which is basically the groundwork for the Parelli levels, is what he suggests.

If you are lunging non-Parelli, you don't really need a cavesson. Some trainers swear by them, but I feel that the pressure they put on the nose, not to mention being lead with a lead on top of their head, is not natural. I have found that it is easier for a horse to understand what you want when lunging if you attach the line to the bridle. You can do this two ways: by tying a knot on the inside bit ring and fastening the snap to the outside bit ring, or you can pass the line through the inside bit ring, over the head, and fasten the snap to the outside ring. The latter is better suited to horses that tend to be more of a handful when lunging.

kitten_Val 05-30-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelWithoutWings54 (Post 646983)
For Parelli I know that I need a rope halter, a 12' Lead rope, and a lunging whip or carott stick.

I'm really confused here.... Do you want lunging or Parelli or both?

Spyder 05-30-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharliGirl (Post 647214)
Parelli doesn't recommend lunging in circles. Lateral lunging, which is basically the groundwork for the Parelli levels, is what he suggests. .

In basic terms you are just leading the horse on a longer lead. Lunging is not a word that should be used with anything Parelli.

There is no such thing as lateral lunging. There is something called working in hand or driving or just plain fooling around with the horse.

Just because you have a lead on the horse and are moving it sideways you are not lunging but attempting work in hand.