The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Horse Health (/horse-health/)
- - Update.....Cinnys poor Bumm (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/update-cinnys-poor-bumm-56155/)
Update.....Cinnys poor Bumm
So I started a thread http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...himself-55651/ that sort of explains how this started and...I finally got a vet to come out.
It's a highly contagious fungus!!! OMG. Vet said he probably was carrying it when I bought him and with the stress of the move to the new place and away from his dam and old owner last month he fell susceptible to it. But there's more.....because apparently it can spread to dogs, cats, humans, etc etc etc. I know get to be paranoid about all my 2 legged and 4 legged friends that I have been in contact with...and my baby :( He didn't tell me what kind of fungus and I was in so much shock I didn't think to ask, but I will find out
It was recommended that I spray the affected areas with bleach (his poor beautiful black hair), let it sit about 15 min and then wash him with Betadine shampoo. Then wash him 1-2 times daily with the Betadine shampoo for 2 weeks.
So, we don't get to move to our beautiful new equestrian center Tuesday :( I get to spend the weekend bleaching every barn stall, brush, etc etc he has come into contact with or throw out anything that can not be bleached...including the dressage pad I just bought....glad I bought a used one for 5 bucks, I'd be bummed if I had gotten a brand new one.. Help treat the other horse he was in pasture with..blah blah blah.
But at least we know why he has completely rubbed his bumm ras. If you have ANY suggestions, tips tricks etc for getting rid of icky, creeping, contagious fungus PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know!!!!
There are bleaches for colors available that work REALLY well--in case you want to keep your dressage pad :)
Just make sure you wear gloves when you bathe him so that a) if you have any open wounds the bleach won't get in there (VERY painful) and it also won't dry your hands out, and b) so that you don't accidentally contract the fungus yourself.
Maybe ask your vet about using an oral anti-fungal medication. There are several available but their names escape me right now.
When we had a huge ring worm outbreak we used Tinactin (athlete's foot spray) and it warked SO well! I've also heard that yeast infection treatments work well too.
Good luck - fungus sucks the big one...
Might ask your vet about an anti fungal shampoo like Malaseb. I believe it has Ketaconazole in it as an anti fungal, plus a 2% chlorhexadine base. Works really well on fungal infections. Only need to bathe twice a week and let sit for 10 minutes before rinsing.
You might also ask about an oral ketaconazole, itraconazole, or griseofulvin (anti-fungal medications) for severe fungal infections.
And topical anti fungal medications work well for spot treating. Either prescription, or over-the-counter athlete's foot creams work well.
My filly had an unidentified fungus show up on her face. I wiped apple cider vinegar on it every day for ten consecutive days and have not had a problem since.
I would ask about other treatments as well...I'm not a fan of putting something so harsh as bleach on my animals, there's got to be something better than that, imho. Did the vet even tell you to dilute it? Surely he wouldn't recommend you to put it on full strength? I hope not, because you may just wind up burning your poor horse's skin and coat, quite literally. I know you want to get rid of the fungus, but there ARE better ways than using such a harsh chemical on him. Yes, use it in the barn, and on everything you can, but I would be very leery of using it on the horse itself.
Try to get some kind of fungal shampoo...I know vetrolin has alot of really good shampoos. There are also others, but they are totally blowing my mind right now...go figure. Chlorehexadine will disinfect the horse, prior to bathing, just as well as bleach, and you should be able to get it at any decent fleet supply, or good tack shop.
I'd use the Apple Cider Vinegar too. That stuff is awesome. It kills warts, too.
Well I scrubbed him down with Betadine Surgical Scrub (It's antimicrobial), let it sit for about 15 min. And he LOVED me scrubbiing his bum with a scrub brush...stretched out, lipped at the air, grunted...if he were a dog he would have been shaking his hind leg too! Then...I rinsed him really really good with a jet sprayer which he amazingly stood for as if he were asleep. It probably felt good to get his "crud" off. Then I diluted about a quarter cup of listerine with 1 gallon of water and sponged it all over and left it on him....I was told this would keep it from spreading.
When I called my BO to check on him she said he had scared her because she thought he "went down" in his stall (he had a strangles vaccine yesterday). But as it turns out he was so relaxed that he layed down to sleep....which is how he slept at his old owners.
Gonna repeat his treatment tomorrow. As for my beloved brushes.....they are 20 years old and natural bristle and have been bleached hundreds of times and unfortunately I don't think they can handle another bleaching so I am going to trash them and get new :( Not sure about riding him because don't I have to wash his saddle pad after every ride? I don't know if I can handle the laundromat every day :( Not sure I trust him bareback yet as he's extremely green and I've only been on him 3 times. I'll figure it out.
I forgot about listerine...I use it to cleanse my litter pans, and gerbil cage! (Can you tell I hate bleach? Hahaha)
Well, it's been 24 hours since the initial treatment and I already see some improvement. I have also added vetericyn to the mix..spraying it directly on the bad spots and any spots that look like they may be new fungus. Boy....this is exhausting already!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.