My mini mare's foal watch thread!
So I decided to post a thread to keep track of Lulu and her foal. I think she's due in June or July. Here's some recent pics. We're really hoping this foal makes it; last year's was born with water on his brain and didn't make it. Name ideas? I'm liking Steel the Glory, because our stally's name is Steel Soldier.
A week ago:
And here's the daddy:
can you register this foal?
I don't believe so, because the dam isn't registered. We're planning on teaching the foal to drive when it's old enough, though
sigh. are you planning to give this horse a forever home? are you going to breed her next year?
Wow how rude, Erin. How rude. You don't even know the back-story.
I like Steel The Glory, very cute. If the sire is registered Welsh Pony And Cob Society Of America, then the foal is eligible for half-registration.
what did i say that was so rude?!?!?! i asked a few questions.
No one calls SR rude when she says stuff like that. why do i get called it? im not saying "oh my god why on gods green earth are you breeding a grade horse??"
i was asking if she was giving it a forever home and if she was planning on breeding her next year.
she also states "Steely is a stallion, we breed him annually to Lulu, our miniature mare. Steely's registered as "Steel Soldier" but his nicknames include Moonshine, Moony, Moon, and Steely."
so yeah. thats why i asked my questions
Ah, but if you were to do your homework, you would understand why I added my remark. I'm sorry OP for the argument.
This is the second time we've bred her. We do not breed her every year. Please don't make this into another backyard breeding thread, because it isn't. It's not my choice to breed the mare; my mom is in charge of the stallion. He has good conformation and a wondeful disposition. The mare is the same. No matter how much I joke about her being a pain in the butt, she really isn't. She's one of the most willing horses I've ever owned. If it were my choice, I would not be breeding her, but it isn't my choice. She'll be a driving horse for us. No big-time driving, but she/he will earn their keep. Please stop so this can be a foal update thread like it was intended. Not in the critique section, so it's not up for discussion. Thanks.
Yes, the plan is to keep it, and I know perfectly well that nothing is ever certain, and we could be robbed of our assets, or any other disaster. In which case my dad (my parents are divorced) would take the horses. If something happened yet again, my mom's handyman really really wants the foal as a companion for his alpacas and a driving horse, but he understands we won't sell the foal unless for some reason we couldn't keep the horses. The foal's life is set out in front of it, and it wiill have a purpose. What's wrong with that? We're not breeding for just a cute foal.
I didn't know I could register the foal if its sire was a registered Welsh. I will definitely be registering the foal. (Another back-up plan if something were to happen that we couldn't keep the horses--the foal would be registered, which would increase its wanted-ness and worth.)
How can I tell when the mare will be ready to foal? I've heard about milky substances leaking from her teets....can someone further explain this? Thanks
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.