The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Back-Soreness? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/back-soreness-56226/)

ilovemyPhillip 05-30-2010 10:29 PM

Back-Soreness?

Hey all,

My mare, Savannah, has been showing signs of back-soreness? I think my saddle doesn't quite fit her, (therefore I stopped ridding), but she still continues to show signs of discomfort. She doesn't have much muscle mass, but should I lunge her? Make her do her stretches? Bending? Etc? I don't want to "damage" her further.

Thanks!

wild_spot 05-30-2010 10:56 PM

Get a chiropractor/massage person out to see her. Damage caused by an ill-fitting saddle doesn't just go away when you take the saddle off - She will probablty need some help to heal.

ilovemyPhillip 05-30-2010 11:00 PM

That's exactly what I want done, but unfortunately my funds are currently limited. Until I have the cash for a chiropractor, what can I do to help my mare?

MIEventer 05-30-2010 11:21 PM

Do lots of stretches - that wont fix joints out of alignment though - nothing will but a Chiro.

Right now, I would massage her with liniment and cold hose her back for now, until you can get the funds to get her taken care of.

I would also look into getting a Proffessional Saddle Maker/Fitter out to examine your saddle and your saddle on your horses back - to help you find the right shape and size that your horse needs so ensure that this issue doesn't come about again.

You can do all the lunging you want, but that isn't going to adjust her joints that are already out. You can do carrot stretches, but all that'll do is work on muscles, not joints that are out.

When I had Nelson recently done, his lower vertibra were out, but so was his pelvis, his jaw, his poll and his neck. Luckily my Chiro costs me $50 :)

wild_spot 05-31-2010 03:24 AM

I would be wary of cold hosing the back - It can be detrimental to muscles - Being too cold over the back and loins can even create soreness.

There really isn't too much you can do, apart from as MIE suggested, massaging with liniment. You could try something like Sore-no-more that will only froth where she is sore and will froth more the more pain to pinpoint where she is sore and how severely.

ilovemyPhillip 05-31-2010 04:16 PM

Sore-no-more? I'll look into that!

wild_spot 05-31-2010 05:50 PM

My Chiro/acupuncturist/massage/laser guy used it on Bundy and it was amazing - It pinpoints exactly how sore they are and were.

MIEventer 05-31-2010 06:28 PM

I have "Sore No More" and it never frothed for me - huh. I'm going to have to try it again and see if it does it. That's cool.

wild_spot 05-31-2010 06:57 PM

^ It might mean he isn't sore!

As far as I know it works on the heat generated by sore muscles, which causes the reaction which equals frothing. You have to rub it a lot too, like in a circular motion, with firm pressure. As if you were washing your hair and trying to suds it up.

ilovemyPhillip 06-01-2010 12:29 PM

I meant to reply last night, but my Internet's been screwy. I apologize..

Which product should I buy? I'm looking here, and I'm probably going to buy the one for thrush, the shampoo, and one of the supliments. I'll also get what you all recommend. Thanks!