The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Could you really....? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/could-you-really-56286/)

ponyboy 05-31-2010 07:19 PM

Could you really....?

I'm on a message board for people who like to read and write. Somebody is writing a fantasy book and wants to know if it's really possible for two people to ride a horse when one of them is unconscious. (OK, I guess the unconscious person isn't really "riding" lol). Someone there who has horses said it would be possible, but I wanted to know what some more experienced horse people thought. How long could a horse gallop carrying two people to begin with?

smrobs 05-31-2010 07:24 PM

It would depend on the size of the horse, how good of shape it was in, the size of the people, etc. The simple answer is yes, a decent sized horse in moderate physical condition can carry 2 average sized people at a canter or run for quite a ways. It would be harder on the horse if one of the people was 'dead weight' though because that person would be bouncing and flopping around. Also, it would mostly depend on how strong the second rider was and if they had the physical ability to a) get the unconsious person on the horse, b) keep the unconsious person balanced so that they didn't fall off.

wild_spot 05-31-2010 07:30 PM

I think the crux of the matter would be the strength and riding ability of the second rider. Horses often carry a sheep/calf along with the rider which would be similar, but it is a heck of a job trying to stop them falling! So if the second rider is a big, burly fantasy hero type, then yes I would it is possible. If it was a waif of a damsel in distress, then no.

equiniphile 05-31-2010 07:37 PM

Strength of the conscience rider! Are they wimpy little non-horsey people who've never lifted a bale of hay, or do they own horses lol? But yea, horses carry riders double all the time

SorrelHorse 06-01-2010 12:43 PM

Yes, I second above posts.

First, a horse in good condition could easily carry double for distances. I've ran one of my horses with my cousin sitting behind me before. Not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it works.

And the concious rider has to not only have good skills as a horseman, but has to be strong and be able to hold onto the second rider who'll be just deadweight to the horse.

kevinshorses 06-01-2010 12:52 PM

The horse would be able to go alot further at a trot than at a lope. As mentioned the hardest part would be getting an unconsious person in the saddle.

ponyboy 06-02-2010 11:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking the biggest problem would be stabilizing the unconscious person's neck.

grayshell38 06-03-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

the biggest problem would be stabilizing the unconscious person's neck.
Just got a mental image of a bobble head doll on a horse...

Skipsfirstspike 06-03-2010 11:46 PM

Might be easier if the rider fashioned a travois for the injured party. Native Americans used to do this using two poles lashed to either side of horse like an A frame, wide end trailing on the ground. Straps or wooden cross pieces were lashed in between poles to serve as a carrier. Horse can carry rider and pull injured person behind it at the same time. You can google it for more info.

Travois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia