The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Starting a horse healing yard. (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/starting-horse-healing-yard-56310/)

Phantomstallion 06-01-2010 10:37 AM

Starting a horse healing yard.

Has anybody read Heartland by Lauren Brooke?

If not, Heartland is a yard where peaople bring their horses with problems e.g headshyness, being backed, trailer trained, nervousness around other horses. Anyway when I grow up I am wanting to have such a place. I was just wondering if anyone has an idea what facilities I might have to have and how much it would cost.

Also another idea of running a normal horse yard or a horse farm is running through my mind. What would I need for that?

Hope you can help me.

P.S If anybody has a yard or something would they mind posting a few pics?:D:-)

justsambam08 06-01-2010 02:59 PM

I believe to more common term for this place is called a 'trainers farm'.

Phantomstallion 06-02-2010 05:05 AM

Thanks

Lifeofriley 06-02-2010 11:06 PM

I've read (and love!) Heartland and while a good idea in theory I think it would be a lot harder to accomplish while staying financially viable in practice. I'll just do up a quick list to show what I mean.

Outgoing (Cost)
- Hay
- Hard Feed
- Farrier
- Vet (Standard - vaccinations, checkups)
- Rent/Mortgage Repayment
- Wages
- Registration (Truck/Horse float and car)
- Fuel
- Vet (Emergency - colic, injuries)
- Shavings/Bedding
- Initial purchase of horse
- Riding/training gear
- Rugs/rug repairs

Incoming (Money made)
- Board
- Trainers Fee
- Horses sold

That was just a really quick list I made up there off the top of my head but you can see how the costs would quickly outweigh the profits. The same is true for any training stable/boarding stable but I think when working with "damaged" horses rather than a specific breed/discipline there would be an even smaller (if any) profit margin. Hope that helped a little!

Phantomstallion 06-05-2010 12:42 PM

Did I mention that I plan to finish a vet course, so I would do the healing.

mistygirl 06-05-2010 01:35 PM

that would be really cool my dream is to rescue horses too but i also love helping out a smiles its a riding therapy place i love watching the peoples faces glow when there riding. i'm also into photography.

Indyhorse 06-05-2010 02:16 PM

There is a decent "starter" book called Starting and Running Your Own Horse Business by Mary Ashby McDonald, DVM, which gives you a good overview on marketing strategies, money saving tips, how to create a cash-flow chart, business plan, etc, in terms of horse businesses that would be a good starting point for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Running-Your-Horse-Business/dp/1603424830/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275761742&sr=8-1