The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Colors for showing Hunter under saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/colors-showing-hunter-under-saddle-56314/)

HayburnerHeights 06-01-2010 12:32 PM

Colors for showing Hunter under saddle
 
I keep getting conflicting advise on color for HUS & Jumping

My daughter is just starting out,we are primarily doing schooling type shows, but would like to know what are the approporiate colors for A-rated shows.

We currently have tan Jods & tan breeches. Navy coat, med blue striped shirt. She has brown paddock boots. Black fuzzy cover for her helmet.

anyone???


thanks in advance

IllComeALopin 06-01-2010 09:35 PM

I would get a whitte shirt, plain and classic.
Even when its 100 degrees and they let you take the jacket off I was always told to wear a long sleeved shirt. :-)

Black boots would be better, depending on how old and tall she is you may want to invest in tall boots (feild boots)... but they are pretty expensive if your on a budget.

Alwaysbehind 06-02-2010 09:15 AM

If your daughter is younger and will be showing in her paddock boots with her jods the brown paddock boots will be fine. You need to get a set of garter straps to go with them.

Link to Garter Straps

Her shirt sounds fine, colored shirts are common and though white is classic it is not seen that much. I agree that longs sleeves are a must. The cuff of your shirt should show slightly at the wrist from under your coat sleeve. Navy coat is classic and fine.

The only thing I am not sure about is the black fuzzy helmet cover. Do you have a hard plastic (troxel type) helmet and you are trying to give it a velvet look?

maura 06-02-2010 10:27 AM

Whether or not you move up from paddock boots to tall boots depends on the age of the child, whether she's on a horse or a pony, and the division she's showing in. These days, it is very, very rare to see jods and paddock boots on a rider on a horse, thought technically there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I do agree with the comment that garter straps are a must if wearing jods.

I used to tell parents that when kids moved out of training bras and into a real bra was the time to move to tall boots. :-) Something disconcerting about pigtails, paddock boots and boobs.

Her clothing sounds fine to me. Hunter classes are conservative, and it's best if you stick with traditional, conservative colors. A plain, white, long sleeved shirt is fine, as is a subtle pinstripe, or a light blue, pink or gray.

I agree with the comment about the helmet and helmet cover. Also, if showing a pony, and in jods and paddock boots, pig tails are fine. If showing a horse, or in tall boots, hair should be secured neatly in a hair net. PLEASE invest in the best quality helmet that you can afford; not something to skimp on. It's a great idea to have one helmet for the barn and schooling, and another for showing. Keep the show helmet packed in it's own case or box; and wipe out the inside with a disinfectant wipe at the end of the show and before putting it away; it keeps the lining from rotting.

If she's showing in Jumpers (as opposed to Hunter over Fences, I wasn't sure from your description) her clothing is still fine. Other riders will be wearing brighter colors and flashier oufits, but tan jods and a navy jacket will cover most riding situations she's likely to be in.

Later on in her career, you'll hear a lot of discusstion about what colors look best on a bay, gray or chestnut, but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Good luck, and Happy Show Season!

HayburnerHeights 06-02-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 649897)
If your daughter is younger and will be showing in her paddock boots with her jods the brown paddock boots will be fine. You need to get a set of garter straps to go with them.

Link to Garter Straps

Her shirt sounds fine, colored shirts are common and though white is classic it is not seen that much. I agree that longs sleeves are a must. The cuff of your shirt should show slightly at the wrist from under your coat sleeve. Navy coat is classic and fine.

The only thing I am not sure about is the black fuzzy helmet cover. Do you have a hard plastic (troxel type) helmet and you are trying to give it a velvet look?

She has a Tippery helmet thats shiney blue

HayburnerHeights 06-02-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 649919)
Whether or not you move up from paddock boots to tall boots depends on the age of the child, whether she's on a horse or a pony, and the division she's showing in. These days, it is very, very rare to see jods and paddock boots on a rider on a horse, thought technically there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I do agree with the comment that garter straps are a must if wearing jods.

I used to tell parents that when kids moved out of training bras and into a real bra was the time to move to tall boots. :-) Something disconcerting about pigtails, paddock boots and boobs.

Her clothing sounds fine to me. Hunter classes are conservative, and it's best if you stick with traditional, conservative colors. A plain, white, long sleeved shirt is fine, as is a subtle pinstripe, or a light blue, pink or gray.

I agree with the comment about the helmet and helmet cover. Also, if showing a pony, and in jods and paddock boots, pig tails are fine. If showing a horse, or in tall boots, hair should be secured neatly in a hair net. PLEASE invest in the best quality helmet that you can afford; not something to skimp on. It's a great idea to have one helmet for the barn and schooling, and another for showing. Keep the show helmet packed in it's own case or box; and wipe out the inside with a disinfectant wipe at the end of the show and before putting it away; it keeps the lining from rotting.

If she's showing in Jumpers (as opposed to Hunter over Fences, I wasn't sure from your description) her clothing is still fine. Other riders will be wearing brighter colors and flashier oufits, but tan jods and a navy jacket will cover most riding situations she's likely to be in.

Later on in her career, you'll hear a lot of discusstion about what colors look best on a bay, gray or chestnut, but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Good luck, and Happy Show Season!

We are still probably at least a year away from any Rated shows as our horses are no where near ready yet! I just don't want her looking "out of place" when we go to the local/fun/schooling type shows

I am assuming she will be showing more Hunter at this point, but I really don't know. I think it will depend on where her horse goes with its re-training (its a sweet OTTB, but still a OTTB! LOL)

she just turned 13 yesterday :D so she is still growing a lot. She has a decent helmet. We will upgrade it at some point, but its still in good shape and it wasn't a dime store helmet. I agree with protecting the head with something decent!

luvmyperch 06-02-2010 12:51 PM

Unfortunately, at 13 and showing on a TB, (I'm assuming he is over 14.2 h), she should really be in breeches and field boots. There are great finds on ebay and lots of local tack shops for inexpensive used boots.

HayburnerHeights 06-02-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmyperch (Post 650020)
Unfortunately, at 13 and showing on a TB, (I'm assuming he is over 14.2 h), she should really be in breeches and field boots. There are great finds on ebay and lots of local tack shops for inexpensive used boots.

She hates the tall boots as she can't get them on. I'll end up having to buy the zipper ones ($$) and I won't do that until her feet quit growing.
I have a pair of tall boots that were mine (no laces) and she can't/won't get them on her feet (my feet are slightly larger than hers) :?

Alwaysbehind 06-02-2010 04:15 PM

See if you can find a pair of used tall boots that you can buy for less money.

At her age and on a full size horse you really need tall boots.

There are some very inexpensive models out there.

anrz 06-05-2010 06:19 PM

l couldn't tell from your posts, but if you're only doing schooling shows and a couple small shows, you may want to consider leather half chaps. A lot of them look similar to tall boots, the prices can (not always!) make them a more economical choice, and at small shows you might be able to get away with leather half chaps. l second Alwaysbehind- look for used ones online and in stores. My instructor offered to sell me her old Ariats, and the price was really good- way less than if you were to buy them new. Ask around and see what you can find! You may get a good deal on some quality used boots. Used is definitely the way to go in my book :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0