The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   pessoa lunging system...anyone heard of or use it?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/pessoa-lunging-system-anyone-heard-use-5639/)

jazzyrider 01-28-2008 11:53 PM

pessoa lunging system...anyone heard of or use it??

i went to horseland today to get myself a roller etc etc for lunging and came across the pessoa lunging system by kincade. the lady raved about it saying that everyone who has bought one has come back in saying how great it is and that currently, she thinks its the best lunging system on the market.

has anyone heard of it or even used it? its supposed to help with muscle development and balance as well as slowly creating the ideal frame.

it starts off in the stretching position then you go into the development position, the working position and finally the engaged position. obviously this would happen over a period of time.

i havent been able to find much info on them myself so i was looking for other peoples opinions.

it usually retails for $150+ but it was on special for $50 so i figure if its no good or whatever i wont lose much on it :)

ilovemydun 01-29-2008 09:19 AM

I myself have never used that system, though I've been interested in checking it out. I've browsed around other forums and everyone who has used one swears by the effectivness of it...even within the first use! They just warn to not over do it using the system because it can cause permanent but invisible damage to the back and leg ligaments.

Hope that helps.. :mrgreen:

koomy56 01-29-2008 09:29 AM

We have it, and use it a bunch. I really like it. Its made a couple of inconsistant, rushy horses more steady and soft, and the and the fleece around the rear is great for horses who have no body awareness of their hind end. I think it's a valuable purchase.

appylover31803 01-29-2008 05:36 PM

I have seen the pessoa lunge system in the Dover Saddlery catalog i get, and I've always been curious, but don't know how to use it or anything. It is on the expensive side for me, which sucks. But i would like my horse to get a better head carriage and use the rest of her body and stuff.

What exactly do you use it for and can it be used for an inexperienced horse? And a semi inexperienced owner? (i've been riding for 12 months, but been an owner for 9-10 months)

jazzyrider 01-29-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appylover31803
I have seen the pessoa lunge system in the Dover Saddlery catalog i get, and I've always been curious, but don't know how to use it or anything. It is on the expensive side for me, which sucks. But i would like my horse to get a better head carriage and use the rest of her body and stuff.

What exactly do you use it for and can it be used for an inexperienced horse? And a semi inexperienced owner? (i've been riding for 12 months, but been an owner for 9-10 months)

the lady at horseland said its great for helping to teach young horses balance and frame and to get them off the forehand.

it looks a little confusing to use especially the first time or two but it does have pictures on the back (i work best with pictures :)) i think it would just take a little bit of practice. i havent used mine yet as they only had a pony size roller left yesterday and im guessing that wont fit my wb :) cant wait to use it though

appylover31803 01-29-2008 05:48 PM

ok well thats good to know. I'd definately like to use it on my mare because her canter used to be all unbalanced and I tried doing circles and stuff and it seemed to have helped . (before i got her, she was lunged before lessons to tire her out, and they'd make her canter until she was... I've seen them do this with numerous horses and i think it could really break a horse's spirit)

I think i will go around looking for the best deal on the Pessoa system.

Thanks so much Jazzy

tayahswirl 01-30-2008 04:05 PM

I recently posted a thread in the "Tack" section of this forum, and got a few responses. I've been looking into buying my own, and have been using it on my horse for about a month or two now.

It helps them build the correct muscles to help them hold a frame, and encourages them to use their hind-end more efficiantly. My horse was rather 'rushy' and carried his head way up, hollowed his back, and was very heavy on the forehand. However, I've been working him in the pessoa [we call it "pessoaing" at my barn] 1-2x per week, just depends, and he's already traveling straighter, using himself more effectivly, and is building lots of muscle.

Be careful with this system though, it can create havoc if used incorrectly. If your working with a horse that is very spooky on the lunge, don't use it on him. I like to let my horse run around or lunge him very lightly at first to get him used to things, because if they spook with the pessoa on, and are not used to it, they will flip-out and most likely injure themselves because they feel confined.

Don't every overtighten the 'side-reins' on it. [Not sure what they're called exactly] I like to leave them loose at first, and then tighten them slowly as the horse gets warmed up. Only used for 5-10 minutes the first few sessions, and then gradually build up, but don't pessoa for excessive amounts of time, its very hard on the horses legs to lunge for that long. Don't move to fast either, because it can cause alot of damage within a horse.

But overall, I LOVE THIS SYSTEM! and would highly recomend it to anyone, but only if they're very experienced. I still asked my trainer to check over the entire system before I start, because he's more experienced than I am. It can be very dangerous in the wrong hands, but in the right ones, it is a veryyy effective tool!

Hope that helps =]