The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Articles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-articles/)
-   -   Horse With Grass Allergy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-articles/horse-grass-allergy-56391/)

speedy da fish 06-02-2010 10:48 AM

Horse With Grass Allergy

Bit of a weird article, but an interesting read.

Horses are Having The Worst Week Ever

By Michelle Collins
It might only be Monday, but allow us to preemptively award this weekís ďWorst Week EverĒ title to the oft-forgotten animal that is the horse. Look, letís faces ó pretty much every week for a horse sucks. The lucky ones are traded away from their horse families to eventually be ridden by the bony asses of the nationís wealthiest; the unlucky ones are forced to drag unsightly tourists around Central Park in exchange for a slap in the horse face and some hay. Indeed, being a horse ainít all itís cracked up to be.
But dare we say that, if you are a horse, this might be your worst week ever. First, we get news from England about a horse named Pandora who is allergic to grass ó canít be near the stuff. As a result, her owners have no other choice but to dress her up like a total a**hole:

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/image...C-TO-GRASS.jpg
As though this Ku Klux Klanzy get-up isnít bad enough, poor Pandora also has to take 15 horse-sized anti-histamine tablets a day, not to mention drink something called sugarbeet chaff, which sounds both disgusting and yet oddly erotic.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/image...IC-HORSE-2.jpg

MacabreMikolaj 06-02-2010 08:45 PM

I, personally, find stuff like this absolutely disgusting. If my horse was forced to live his entire life swaddled up like the bubble boy, with no ability to eat the food he thrives on, I would put him to sleep immediately.

I will NEVER understand how twisted people have to be to think they are somehow doing the animal a favour by keeping him alive. NEVER.

speedy da fish 06-03-2010 04:40 AM

I never thought about it that way, I spose you are right... There are cures for allergies now, if they loved her that much they would pay for that treatmnt. Ive noticed that her hooves are exposed too, that must irratate her frogs :(

SorrelHorse 06-03-2010 12:29 PM

My rescue horse Rebel has allergies, but not nearly that bad. He sneezes and snorts if I ride thorugh tall grass but he can eat it just fine. I was thinking this article would help me, But I guess not.....

Speed Racer 06-03-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj (Post 650361)
I, personally, find stuff like this absolutely disgusting. If my horse was forced to live his entire life swaddled up like the bubble boy, with no ability to eat the food he thrives on, I would put him to sleep immediately.

I will NEVER understand how twisted people have to be to think they are somehow doing the animal a favour by keeping him alive. NEVER.

Agreed, Macabre.

Horses are meant to eat grass, roll in the pasture, and go nekkid. If the animal can't do any of that, why does her owner think it's a good thing to keep her alive?

If she was a feral animal, she'd have died as a youngster.

Hoofprints in the Sand 06-04-2010 12:01 PM

My mare is allergic to Johnson grass, and about a million other things too! (molasses, clover, soy beans, etc)...so I forked over the $200 for the hypersensitivity shots to get her over (hopefully!) the allergies, and switched her to oats with a vitamin/mineral supplement and she is thriving so far!!

Poor horse, they need to look into shots or other treatments to allow her to be a horse again :-(

speedy da fish 06-04-2010 03:32 PM

poor girl :(
found out on tues that my horse is allergic to some sort of fly bite :( only swellings though not respiratory problems, phew!

Hoofprints in the Sand 06-04-2010 11:01 PM

same with mine speedy...huge granulomas that had to be removed :( she's allergic to gnat bites!
Posted via Mobile Device

speedy da fish 06-05-2010 04:08 AM

nasty :(, my boy hasnt had to have anything removed, they are fluid lumps that go down, he has got a big one on his belly today :( He doesnt care though :L