The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Your stand on horse slaughter? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/your-stand-horse-slaughter-56395/)

manhirwen 06-02-2010 01:35 PM

Your stand on horse slaughter?

I am writing a cause and effect essay for my writing class. I decided that a good issue to cover would be horse slaughter. I want to know your opinion on the effect banning horse slaughter in america has on the horse industry. I'm not looking for short answers like "it's bad!" I want real thought out answers explaining why you are for or against it and what effect you believe it has on the horses, both good and bad.

If you are against horse slaughter, please tell me what alternatives there are for disposing of horse carcasses, lame, severely neglected horses etc...

If you are for horse slaughter, let me know what effects it has on the economy, the hundreds of thousand of unwanted horses, the increase in abandonment etc...

Keep it clean, if someone's opinion differs from your own please be respectful of that opinion and the other person.

Let's here your thoughts!

Speed Racer 06-02-2010 04:48 PM

Manhirwen, instead of opening a new slaughter thread, why not just use the search function?

There are plenty of threads concerning equine slaughter, with both sides chiming in.

You should be able to write your essay based on the opinions we've already set forth.

manhirwen 06-02-2010 05:04 PM

Mostly because I was hoping to get some numbers on a pole. I suppose it's not that important and the thread can be deleted.

AQHA 06-02-2010 11:13 PM

I have no problem with horse slaughter, it's what happens before and up to that point.

ridergirl23 06-02-2010 11:18 PM

I have no problem with horse slaughter, i also agree with AQHA. I think it reduces abandoned horses and neglected/starved horses. If we didnt have horse slaughter (eek i hate that word!) then people would have nowhere to send horses that they had to let go, horses that no one would buy because their lame or something, but they need to get rid of because they have no money to feed. IMO rescues could never hold/help all the neglected animals if there werent slaughters. :) just my two cents

rum4 06-04-2010 10:34 PM

The horse slaughter battle has good and bad points. I agree that the horses shuld not be abused but there are humane was to slaughter horses, just as with other livestock. Some people eat horse others don't but why take away jobs just because some don't agree with it. Next thing you know we will have laws that won't let us slaughter other livestock... then what????

Shawneen 06-09-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 650157)
Manhirwen, instead of opening a new slaughter thread, why not just use the search function?

There are plenty of threads concerning equine slaughter, with both sides chiming in.

You should be able to write your essay based on the opinions we've already set forth.

No offense but I agree. These debates tend to get very heated and people have ended up getting banned in the past. Just do a search in the forum and on the net to validate any opinions.

DressageIsToDance 06-10-2010 02:19 AM

I don't have a problem with horse slaughter itself - what I have a problem with is a) how the horses are treated while they are waiting to be transported to a slaughter facility, b) how the horses are transported, c) how they are treated at the facility itself, and d) how the actual act of slaughtering the animal is carried out.

Unfortunately, many of those are not up to par with my personal standards of how I feel horses should be treated to minimize fear, stress and pain.

I suppose I am on the fence. I would rather horses not be slaughtered at all than to suffer the way they so often do in slaughter houses...that being said, lack there of them would be devastating in itself, because horse overpopulation is a problem today. If I were to be fully against slaughter, however, my solution would be to decrease the population through means of education of breeding for quality horses, rather than mediocre and badly conformed horses, breeding with a purpose, not just because, and also following up with a good start and a good trainer to make for a horse who will at least retain if not gain value through his/her life, and also to promote euthanasia for older horses who have health problems, cannot be ridden and would be difficult to place in a home.

manhirwen 06-10-2010 09:32 PM

If it makes the moderators happy they can delete this thread

Starlet 06-10-2010 10:12 PM

Horse slaughter is ok i think. There are a lot of unwanted, lame, abandoned, sick, and just bad horses that can't be ridden and slaughtering them is a way to keep the number of those horses under control. Plus in most cases, the horse is killed quickly, so it's actually pretty humane.