The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   How would you feel if... (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/how-would-you-feel-if-56414/)

MissH 06-02-2010 06:16 PM

How would you feel if...

Let me explain. It was my birthday yesterday. Every time there is a birthday and I know the person, at work for instance, I go out of my way to make them a custom card (I'm a bit into graphic design and stuff), and to leave it on their desk making sure that they feel special on their day.

Well, yesterday, 95% of my office (with the exception of the girl I share an office with who wished me happy birthday in the morning) forgot until past noon. Then finally I got a few happy birthdays in the afternoon - but not a single person got me a card or did anything special?

So...I guess I feel pretty left out and my feelings are kind of hurt...I try to be such a good/kind/nice person, and every single person obviously didn't see it important enough to even get me a card or leave me a note on what I would like to think is a special day in people's lives.... On top of that, there have been birthdays for others in the office and everyone has received some sort of card? I'm the newest member of the office, so perhaps that's part of it...but I guess it's a little hard to swallow.

:oops: Sorry for being a bit of a suck, but it really has me a bit down in the mouth to be honest.

JumpsxGlory 06-02-2010 06:39 PM

I would feel a bit upset, but I'm just that type of person that if people basically forget it's my birthday it really bothers me!!! And happy late birthday!

Carleen 06-02-2010 07:11 PM

Eh, I don't really care much for birthdays. Then again, I don't like to celebrate holidays like Mother's Day, etc either. I have no problem wishing people a happy birthday or anything, I just dislike when people expect to be treated special because of it. (Not saying you were! I can just easily think of a few examples who do...)
I feel that people should be celebrated and appreciated on a daily basis, instead of concentrating it into one day.

That being said, Happy belated Birthday!

MissH 06-02-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carleen (Post 650287)
I feel that people should be celebrated and appreciated on a daily basis, instead of concentrating it into one day.

Well isn't that the truth! And I agree, typically I'm not the kind of person to expect anything either...I think it just hits closer to home when you go out of your way to make people feel special on those days, and they don't pay you the same courtesy back in any way?

Again, typically I'd just brush it off, but I'm alone this birthday (that's an even LONGER story...but coles notes is my significant other is away), and we live in a pretty rural area - so I guess the lonely thing kinda hit me, especially since work forgot! :oops:

Cinnys Whinny 06-02-2010 07:42 PM

I've had that happen too....and I know how it feels. I can imagine it hit a little harder for you though, in your situation. I'm sorry you are feeling blue...and Happy Belated Birthday....from someone who always sends herself flowers on her birthdays lol...cuz I do ever year....just in case ha ha.

Carleen 06-02-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissH (Post 650296)
Well isn't that the truth! And I agree, typically I'm not the kind of person to expect anything either...I think it just hits closer to home when you go out of your way to make people feel special on those days, and they don't pay you the same courtesy back in any way?

Again, typically I'd just brush it off, but I'm alone this birthday (that's an even LONGER story...but coles notes is my significant other is away), and we live in a pretty rural area - so I guess the lonely thing kinda hit me, especially since work forgot! :oops:

Oh I totally get how that would feel, I used to bake my friends birthday cakes for every single birthday. Even the ones I wasn't that close to, but never got anything much for mine. But I guess in the end, it's your choice to go out of your way for them - and I bet it makes you feel good making them feel special, eh?

and LOL - Cinny, that's a nice safety net! :lol:

MissH 06-02-2010 08:14 PM

I'm sending myself flowers next year...that's a freakin fantastic idea.... LOL

Citrus 06-02-2010 08:19 PM

I would be disappointed as well. However, just because you do something does not mean people reciprocate. Happy belated birthday. You sound like a sweet person and the world needs many of them :)

RaiRaiNY 06-03-2010 08:38 AM

Happy Belated Birthday :)

I would have felt the same way. My office used to do birthday lunches, but now we've grown and it is no longer possible, so they get forgotten easily. I'm sorry your feelings were hurt.

TaMMa89 06-03-2010 11:25 AM

I see why you're disappointed but perhaps they just forgot if you're new there (referring to it that they've noticed others' birthdays)?

Happy belated birthday.