The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Is she a Tennessee Walker? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/she-tennessee-walker-56444/)

snoggle 06-02-2010 10:53 PM

Is she a Tennessee Walker?

4 Attachment(s)
My 4 year old mare, Honey, doesn't have any papers. When I bought her I was told that she was "probably a Tennessee Walking Horse, but might have some Standardbred in her". I was just wondering if those of you who know more about these breeds can tell me if she looks like a TWH or anything else. She is gaited. I only trail ride and she is fabulous and bombproof, so it doesn't really matter. I'm just curious.

If you think she is a TWH, how is her conformation? Again, I'm just curious, I won't be offended at all if you tell me it isn't that great. I love her no matter what.

Attachment 32551

Attachment 32552

Attachment 32553

Attachment 32554

missy567 06-02-2010 11:03 PM

Just by looking at the way her hip is built and her head, I would lean way towards the TWH. As far as I can tell me big no nos in her confo. She is very pretty though. Love her color. :D

corinowalk 06-03-2010 12:14 AM

I would say she is probably TWH/saddlebred cross...it was pretty popular for a bit until they realized that the gait of the walker didn't always 'make it through' to the cross. Shes pretty though...a lil thin necked but with work, that will change. Its also a pretty common conformation issue with saddlebreds...

farmpony84 06-03-2010 10:30 AM

she looks like a walking horse to me... a little on the hefty side though!

Britt 06-03-2010 10:46 AM

I can see Saddlebred in her head and neck, but I can also see Walker in her.

She's a cutie!!!

speedy da fish 06-03-2010 10:51 AM

shes looks exactly as you said TWH/saddlebred

snoggle 06-03-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 650829)

That's funny. She kinda always looks that way, I guess its just her build. She's actually just barely got enough weight on her to keep her ribs from showing. We usually feed nothing but hay and when the hay quality went down at the end of winter/early spring, we noticed that they both started to show their ribs. We added a little feed (Safe Choice). We're back on good quality hay again, no feed, and they're actually both pretty good now, but if she turns just right, you still see ribs.

For the longest time I was convinced she was pregnant (you really can't tell when she's in heat, she's so laid back), but since I've had her a year, we're in the clear.

ponyboy 06-03-2010 01:35 PM

Do you know what gait she does? I only ask because with some gaits you have to be careful about overdoing it.

snoggle 06-03-2010 09:04 PM

She does a very smooth runny walk, but paces if she gets lazy or tired.

snoggle 06-03-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 650829)

Actually, after looking back at the pics, she probably was a little chunky in that last one - it was taken late last fall. I was thinking about the first one, taken just a couple of days ago.