The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   Meet Sampson *picture heavy* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/meet-sampson-%2Apicture-heavy%2A-56459/)

drafts4ever 06-03-2010 04:20 AM

Meet Sampson *picture heavy*

9 Attachment(s)
Long story short one of my good friends wanted a horse, he's 6'6, skip ahead through learning how to stay on a horse, basic horse handling blah blah, fast forward 3 months later (way too soon) through being stubborn and rushing to buy a horse....now enter Sampson:?:shock:.

*sorry for the following novel*:shock:
I found Sampson, an 18.2 , 12 year old Belgian draft. He's an absolute sweetheart but because of his numerous owners and being tossed around from person to person he has some trust issues to deal with. I co-own him with Kevin until Kevin feels he can take full responsibility for this horse. I working with Sampson under saddle and within a couple weeks he has really bonded to both myself and my trainer....not Kevin. Reason being: Kevin has a billion things on his plate, one of his former friends stole and wrecked Kevins car (long story) so he has no ride at the moment unless he finds someone, and he just doesn't understand how IMPORTANT it is to bond with a horse that will someday be fully his. (Kevin is 21, keep that in mind). Anyway...enough little venting I will say he is trying his best right now but he rushed into this before he got all his busy-ness and stress out of the way first. I don't mind, he's a great horse and a love bug when he trusts you.

A tiny history of what I know on Sampson. colt to 4 years old he was trained to pull as a right side horse, (he's very bad to the left but he's getting much better in just the few days I've had him under saddle). At 4 years old he's sold to a lady who uses him until he's 6 driving and puts a saddle on him for a few months before giving up. She was an "au-natural" in the most negative ways, she let horses walk all over her and believed that simply turning them out on gravel or a paved driveway was all the care their hooves needed so he developed an HORRIBLE quarter crack which then chipped and broke off and he was lame and turned out...Skip to now. 2 months ago the lady we got him from was looking for a trail horse she could work with. She found a Quarter horse morgan mix who was 3 and Sampson was a forced package deal because he was so attached to this little **** head of a horse. Sampson was underweight because the 3 year old chased him away from his food. So this lady bought the 3 year old and took Sampson, worked wonders on him with his ground manners, started on his feet which are looking much better than the pictures I saw, got on him a couple times, noted he was tense and nervous, got off, worked on his weight but had no where to split the two horses up so he's still needing about 300lbs on him. She put him up for sale since she had no use for him and that's how we got him. He's very gentle on the bit, very responsive, seems to have lots of work done with respect on the ground and under saddle but is noticeably nervous with anyone less than a confident rider on his back. Kevin has signed a contract with me stating he won't ride unless I or my trainer are in the arena with him and he is more than happy to follow.
So here's pretty boy Sampson!

drafts4ever 06-03-2010 04:27 AM

Kevins first ride on Sampson

6 Attachment(s)
Today was Kevins first ride on Sampson. I won't let him trot him until his feet are fixed up because he's very uneven and Kevin still has a lot of work to do on his balance before trotting this big boy (it would be different if Sampsons front feet weren't so ...um...*bleeped*..up and yes I have a farrier coming out to throw some shoes on). He did very well on him today though. He was patient and very gentle with him and Sampson relaxed down right away. Remember Kevin is 6'6. We're working on finding him a western saddle and getting custom fenders for his long legs since he feels more comfortable in a western saddle.

RedTree 06-03-2010 04:57 AM

wow that is a gorgeous horse

RowdyLover 06-03-2010 06:31 AM

Don't tell any of my beautiful horsies but I think I might be in love with yours! What a knockout!

EmilyTrailridder 06-03-2010 02:19 PM

the side by side picture makes them look like a perfect pulling team

speedy da fish 06-03-2010 03:01 PM

18.2hh! whoh! lovely though, he is a real poser :P

upupandflyaway1 06-03-2010 03:04 PM

He is SO cute.

drafts4ever 06-03-2010 03:51 PM

It's bath day today and I'll have pictures of his fabio mane (literally looks like Fabio hair). Since they get a long so well I'd like to turn them out together sometime but of course under supervision. I think it would make for some great draft playtime pictures. He's just like Caleigh, a poser. He sees a Camera and it's ears forward and bright eyes!

My2Geldings 06-03-2010 03:55 PM

He's gorgeous. I really like the look of him. He should make a really awesome mount with some miles on him. Good for you for helping me out so much. Wish the world had more riders and owners like you around!

SorrelHorse 06-03-2010 05:20 PM

Gorgeous boy! I love drafts, but they wouldn't be good for my type of riding =/ -sigh-