The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Competition time, Youngster starting at competitions. Any advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/competition-time-youngster-starting-competitions-any-56478/)

SJGirl 06-03-2010 12:35 PM

Competition time, Youngster starting at competitions. Any advice?

So I've just finished my training with my six year old ISH gelding, He's done a bit of everything I can acturally possibly think of to do with Showjuping but I can't admit he's great when he get's to the show's! he's 14.3 jumps just under 4ft does excellent at home. But at shows he kind of acts 'shy' and doesn't like to perform if an audiance is watching, Which is kind of a problem. I have a competition on 20th june. So any advice would be appreciated!

Sunny 06-03-2010 12:53 PM

My only advice is for you to act like nothing is different. Do things just like you do at home. Bring water from home, tack up the same way, things like that. Let your calm attitude roll over into him. Good luck! :]
Posted via Mobile Device

SugarPlumLove 06-03-2010 04:24 PM

What hieght are you going to be jumping at? You should jump about 2'5" if he can jump 4' because this way it will get his confidence up. He will probably decide that this is super easy and shows are not a big deal.

SJGirl 06-04-2010 12:15 PM

Well as I'm just starting him out, I'm probably want to let him enjoy a expirience without being pressured at first, I think i'll just do a clear round and go home. Next time as it's every two weeks do clear round and a 2'' class and just continue up gradually x

SugarPlumLove 06-04-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJGirl (Post 651919)
Well as I'm just starting him out, I'm probably want to let him enjoy a expirience without being pressured at first, I think i'll just do a clear round and go home. Next time as it's every two weeks do clear round and a 2'' class and just continue up gradually x

I like your thinkin :)

SJGirl 06-04-2010 01:40 PM

I don't want to rush my boy's expirience because I want to make it the most enjoyable as I can , If i rush him at 2,6'' I don't want to put him off jumping if he get's stressed atleast if I build him up it won't be such a dramatic change as he has done the odd Sj comps but I'm going to start doing this properly as around me we have Sj every 2 weeks comps, Because things change at home he can jump under 4'' but it kinda changes when you get to a show with a whole new surroundings and noises.