The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Hunter on the Flat Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/hunter-flat-critique-56492/)

upupandflyaway1 06-03-2010 04:14 PM

Hunter on the Flat Critique
 
Feel free to critique the both of us (:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...icture18_3.png

Thanks! Oh and hes a 6 year old wb. Somewhat green

upupandflyaway1 06-03-2010 04:16 PM

bump (:

tarebear 06-03-2010 04:19 PM

Can I have him?
 
I know nothing about hunters, but he looks he'd make a great dressage horse :D

SarahHershey 06-03-2010 04:23 PM

Thumbs up, shoulers back, heels way down, and you need to get him less heavy. use your leg to lift him, so he carries himself, His poll is also WAY too low. The picture isn't really showing too well on my computer, so its hard to go in depth. More pictures of different gaits, etc would be helpful to help you some more. =D

sarahver 06-03-2010 04:38 PM

Beautiful horse, going kindly for a greenie.

Half halt, half halt, half halt! Get his hindquarters underneath his body and the level of his head will be raised accordingly. He looks like he is leaning on the bit, and you are allowing your upper body to be tilted forwards to compensate. You need to drive with your leg, don't allow him to rest on the pressure of the bit and your hands - he needs to support himself!

As Sarah Hershey mentioned, keep your shoulders back. When you feel his head dipping low, drive with that leg rather than closing your shoulders and tilting forwards. Also, although it is only one picture, it looks to me like he might benefit from a softer bit? Maybe a rubber bit or the like? Just a thought given the angle of his head...

upupandflyaway1 06-03-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahHershey (Post 651164)
Thumbs up, shoulers back, heels way down, and you need to get him less heavy. use your leg to lift him, so he carries himself, His poll is also WAY too low. The picture isn't really showing too well on my computer, so its hard to go in depth. More pictures of different gaits, etc would be helpful to help you some more. =D

I probabaly should of mentioned that I didn't have riding boots on, I forgot them so I was wearing slouch boots so my heel was slipping in and out of my boot. Haha.

upupandflyaway1 06-03-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahver (Post 651185)
Beautiful horse, going kindly for a greenie.

Half halt, half halt, half halt! Get his hindquarters underneath his body and the level of his head will be raised accordingly. He looks like he is leaning on the bit, and you are allowing your upper body to be tilted forwards to compensate. You need to drive with your leg, don't allow him to rest on the pressure of the bit and your hands - he needs to support himself!

As Sarah Hershey mentioned, keep your shoulders back. When you feel his head dipping low, drive with that leg rather than closing your shoulders and tilting forwards. Also, although it is only one picture, it looks to me like he might benefit from a softer bit? Maybe a rubber bit or the like? Just a thought given the angle of his head...

Oh I should PROBABLY mention this was my third time on him too. First time trotting. He's an ex track horse (he used to pony horses on the track). Now im riding him with spurs because he just responds so much better and listens to my leg SO much more. I have just a regular snaffle in him right now, we had a problem with his head being SKY high and in this picture ( I dont remember which one i posted lol) I think i half-halted RIGHT after this one. Hes still very green and he HATES contact in his face, like you touch his face and he goes nuts so you REALLY have to ride him through your seat/legs and hes SUCH a pokey horse that you REALLY have to keep pushing and pushing and pushing for him to do ANYTHING.

upupandflyaway1 06-03-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahver (Post 651185)
Beautiful horse, going kindly for a greenie.

Half halt, half halt, half halt! Get his hindquarters underneath his body and the level of his head will be raised accordingly. He looks like he is leaning on the bit, and you are allowing your upper body to be tilted forwards to compensate. You need to drive with your leg, don't allow him to rest on the pressure of the bit and your hands - he needs to support himself!

As Sarah Hershey mentioned, keep your shoulders back. When you feel his head dipping low, drive with that leg rather than closing your shoulders and tilting forwards. Also, although it is only one picture, it looks to me like he might benefit from a softer bit? Maybe a rubber bit or the like? Just a thought given the angle of his head...

I might try that though. I have one somewhere..Thanks! Were working on it! Right now were really just trying to work on lateral movement and moving OFF the leg. But I will try that (:

dreamergurl4101 06-12-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarebear (Post 651159)
I know nothing about hunters, but he looks he'd make a great dressage horse :D

i second that notion!!!

gerrypony 06-14-2010 05:00 AM

I agree that he definitely looks heavy on the forehand. If you're already riding in spurs and pushing as hard as you can, then there's nothing to half halt. Half halting works when you've got some forward momentum that you want to collect a little. If you half halt this horse the way he's going in the picture, you'll probably kill whatever impulsion there is.

Since he's a hunter, why not start doing some pole work and cavaletti? Start with one pole, then keep adding until you get to 4. Once he's trotting happily over those, raise them a few inches (if you have the equipment). Poles are great to help articulate the horse's joints, supple him up, and get him moving more actively.

As for you, yes you are a little forward with your upper body. Thumbs up, like everyone here said, as that's better for the contact with his mouth. Your leg looks fine to me.

Good luck :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0