The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   If you put a Zebra on a Cremello... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/if-you-put-zebra-cremello-56507/)

twogeldings 06-03-2010 08:48 PM

If you put a Zebra on a Cremello...

Or perhaps a Smokey Cream or Perlino...

Would you, technically, get a Palomino, Buckskin, or Dun Zorse foal?

Or what if you bred a Zebra to a loudly marked Sabino? Sabino n' Stripes? :lol:

Bay + Zebra = Regular bay Zorse?

I'm rather fond of the Bay Zorses xD
http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/10...425x425Q85.jpg

Discuss!

(disclaimer: I do not have a mare, or a zebra, or a zorse, although I wish I had all three because they are just to utterly cute XD)

Miss Neigh 06-03-2010 10:42 PM

i think the dilution gene would work the same so single dilute with the zebra stripes.

Starlet 06-03-2010 10:44 PM

Zorse?? Wow look at that! Never seen one of those! I want one!

lilkitty90 06-03-2010 11:11 PM

hmm you love zorses and i about had myself one. the local rescue used their huge zebra stud on poneys and donkeys to get zorses and zonkeys. and i asked about a full grown horse and they were gonna let me get a breeding for free. however they changed their minds because the zebra stud was quite aggressive and they didn't want to be responsible if he hurt my mare. and i think it'd have been awesome as she's a mustang. with VERY unique coloring.

Quixotic 06-03-2010 11:33 PM

I think they're cool looking, but I personally wouldn't want one. Zebra's have a different sort of herd mentality than horses do, and they have to be trained differently. I'm not sure how much of that would transfer over to the baby.

themacpack 06-03-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilkitty90 (Post 651518)
hmm you love zorses and i about had myself one. the local rescue used their huge zebra stud on poneys and donkeys to get zorses and zonkeys. and i asked about a full grown horse and they were gonna let me get a breeding for free. however they changed their minds because the zebra stud was quite aggressive and they didn't want to be responsible if he hurt my mare. and i think it'd have been awesome as she's a mustang. with VERY unique coloring.

Am I reading that correctly? The local "rescue" was breeding? Seems rather counter-productive (to say the least) to be contributing to the very problem they are supposed to be sovling :shock: :?

lilkitty90 06-04-2010 12:02 AM

well they are like a small scale zoo. and they do rescue. but it's not completely Rescue. and the only breed every now and then. kind of glad i didn't go through with it. not sure if i could handle the rough zebra mentality my little foal has enough attitude for me!

MacabreMikolaj 06-06-2010 12:41 AM

I don't believe so - in animals such as donkeys, mules and zebras, the primitive genes seem to take over. This is blatantly true in donkeys and zebras who do not deviate from a certain type of color/pattern, and mostly true in mules that usually come out with the same blandish normal solid color as donkeys.

I've seen several zorse's and I've ONLY ever seen dunnish with stripes - just the primitive color. I HAVE seen pinto zorse's, but again, the colored patches are just the primitive dun color with stripes.

I've yet to see even a chestnu/black/bay zorse, much less palomino/buckskin/smokey black. The one you posted is dun.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-06-2010 02:36 AM

That photo looks photoshopped. Just sayin'! :D

I wouldn't want a zorse as a riding horse.... but I would love to have one as a pasture horse(zorse. lol)

ilovemyPhillip 06-06-2010 09:44 AM

It's not photoshoped. There's a sorse mare for sale in CA with the same coloring, and as MacabreMikolaj said.. All the coloring has been - whatever I don't remember word-for-word. Lol.