The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Buying a Trailer - Questions to ask? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/buying-trailer-questions-ask-56526/)

Clementine 06-03-2010 11:47 PM

Buying a Trailer - Questions to ask?

Hello everyone - Well, the time has come for me to buy a trailer. I have found a used one on Craigslist that I like, and is actually cheap enough for me to afford. So, my question is, what questions should I ask about it when (or prior to) going to see it?

Thanks!

iridehorses 06-04-2010 08:31 AM

Aside from the cosmetics, what I look for is the condition of the floor, the electrics (including the brakes), the suspension, the wheel bearings, and the tires (be sure they are trailer tires and not passenger car tires). Depending on age and location, I'll get underneath and make sure the frame is not rusted.

Lastly, I'll hook it up and take it for a ride to be sure it is tracking straight.

The obvious question I ask before even going to see it is the dimensions. If it isn't at least 6'6" high ( I have QHs not TBs) and 6' wide, I can't use it. If I had 16h and above horses or draft types, I would want at least 7' high.

Once I've checked it out then, depending on what it may need, I'll make an offer. I have a pretty good idea what work I can perform and how much things cost.

churumbeque 06-04-2010 10:23 AM

take a screwdriver and stab the floor. If it is soft it is rotted. Sometimes they look ok but are not. Depending on the price range you are in would depend on what I would expect in the condition but you could have a mechanic check brakes, bearings and axles

rum4 06-04-2010 10:37 PM

iridehorses pretty much covered it and churmbeque has a good idea too.
Do a search on the internet for horse trailer buying tips and you will find more answers to you question

Mingiz 06-09-2010 08:22 PM

Everyone had great suggestions, Also make sure the title is a clear one and check the vin# on the title and the trailer it self to make sure they match.:wink: