The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Body Protector? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/body-protector-56535/)

NordicJuniper 06-04-2010 03:12 AM

Body Protector?

I am not sure on which one I should get. These are the ones I am looking at. Any suggestions?

EquiShopper - Ovation Adult Body Protector
EquiShopper - Rodney Powell Elite Body Protector
Ladies' Intec Flex-Rider Body Protector* - Dover Saddlery.

Or any other suggestions are welcome too. I am trying not to spend an arm and a leg lol but I don't want something that won't work either.

chestnutponies 06-04-2010 12:34 PM

I have the Rodney Powell. I ordered it from VTO Saddlery. I love it. They come in tons of colors and have better safety ratings that the Tipperarys. For me, I'm an odd shape and I liked that I could get a custom size from RP without the extra charges like Tipperary.

MIEventer 06-04-2010 12:53 PM

Whichever vest you choose - please get one that has the stamp and approval on it from ASTM and meets BETA Level 3 standards of safety.

Tipperary's ARE NOT stamped and appoved by ASTM and DO NOT meet even the minimal level requirements of safety.

I have the Flex Rider vest. It is the cheapest on the market, but has the stamp of approval on it. The vest is approved by ASTM and meets BETA level 3 requirements of safety and protection - without breaking the bank to buy it.

I bought mine used, and it does its job well. I paid $50 for mine in total from a fellow Eventer who decided to merge into a different sport where vests were not required. I've had mine for 3 years and I love it and wont be out on the CC course without it.

You don't need an expensive vest to be protected out on the CC course - you just need one that meets ASTM requirements of safety and protection, that meets BETA Level 3 standards.

MyBoyPuck 06-04-2010 09:54 PM

I just got my Rodney Powell today. I haven't had time to ride in it, but it does seem to fit well thanks to the custom sizing. It's got lots of tail bone coverage which is important to me.

equineeventer3390 06-05-2010 12:23 AM

Just a suggestion. The outlyne vest by aerowear. Dover has it I know. Little more than rodney powell but in my opinion so much better and definitely worth it. Especially if your going to use it alot. Its much more flexible and fits to your body better. Also made for women. All other vests make me feel like im in a turtle shell and can't move, except this one.

kitten_Val 06-05-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 652276)
I just got my Rodney Powell today. I haven't had time to ride in it, but it does seem to fit well thanks to the custom sizing. It's got lots of tail bone coverage which is important to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chestnutponies (Post 651875)
I have the Rodney Powell. I ordered it from VTO Saddlery. I love it. They come in tons of colors and have better safety ratings that the Tipperarys. For me, I'm an odd shape and I liked that I could get a custom size from RP without the extra charges like Tipperary.

Sorry for asking, but... Does it feel like cardboard too? (like Flex Rider and Charles Owen, very stiff and no movement). I'd love to try one, but shops around don't carry it and I'm kinda afraid to order.

I agree on Tipperary - lots of money for something, which doesn't look like a good protection even...

equineeventer3390 06-05-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 652350)
Sorry for asking, but... Does it feel like cardboard too? (like Flex Rider and Charles Owen, very stiff and no movement). I'd love to try one, but shops around don't carry it and I'm kinda afraid to order.

I agree on Tipperary - lots of money for something, which doesn't look like a good protection even...

You should try this one:Airowear Outlyne Vest
It's made for women and is really comfy compared to rodney powell, flex rider, and charles owens. I tried many different vests and all of them were so uncomfortable. This vest is flexible and really forms to your body. Slightly more expensive but definitely worth it.

kitten_Val 06-05-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equineeventer3390 (Post 652463)
You should try this one:Airowear Outlyne Vest
It's made for women and is really comfy compared to rodney powell, flex rider, and charles owens. I tried many different vests and all of them were so uncomfortable. This vest is flexible and really forms to your body. Slightly more expensive but definitely worth it.

Yes, I've seen your post, but frankly never seen it in Dover stores (we have 2 in area). May be they just sell it on-line. I'll definitely ask next time I go there! Thank you!

To me it's really hard to believe that the vest can be really flexy AND certified (I believe that' the reason why people go with the Tipperary - it's very light and flexible). One of the reasons I never tried to order without trying "in person". :D

equineeventer3390 06-06-2010 12:20 AM

Its not THAT flexible. At first it feels alot like the charles owen and rodney powell, but its just.. less bulky and forms to you better. Especially since its designed for women. It's certified to the same levels as rodney powell and charles owens. There all about the same. It is nothing like tipperary. I got a tipperary about 6 years ago and wondered how the heck it protected anything, and now I know that it doesn't!
I've ridden in a charles owen before and it just got in the way. I forget I'm wearing my aerowear.

NordicJuniper 06-07-2010 02:52 AM

So which one out of these two are better? I am confused on the difference really and if the cheaper one will work just the same I will go with that one.

airowear body vest horse jumping safety centennial - eBay (item 350344597709 end time Jun-21-10 10:48:57 PDT)

Airowear Outlyne Teen Body Protector and Body Protectors*|*EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

Airowear Surevest Teen Vest and Body Protectors*|*EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

and what about this one?

http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=4766