The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   New FEI Guidelines Against Using Rolkur (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/new-fei-guidelines-against-using-rolkur-56564/)

Tennessee 06-04-2010 02:18 PM

New FEI Guidelines Against Using Rolkur

I do not do Dressage, but I thought this was interesting that they are finally doing something about it. This article can be found in Horse and Rider magazine.

‘New guidelines for stewards were given unanimous approval by the FEI Bureau on 17th April and came into force on 15th May. The guidelines were Produced by the Working Group formed after the round-table conference held in Lausanne on 9th February. The new rules particularly address rollkur or hyper flexion, defined as ‘’flexion through aggressive force’’. Although the current FEI guidelines already included instructions on aggressive riding, the new section has clear instructions on the actions stewards should take if they see rollkur occurring. It would also catch those using their whips or spurs excessively, and those practising and movement repeatedly for more then 10 minutes at a time.

All training sessions, including pre-completion warm-up, must take place in the official arena under supervision of the stewards, and the chief steward must be present at all times. It has been recommended that CCTV is installed at certain venues to provide a way to better monitor the practise arenas. ‘’Everyone in the FEI has horse welfare at heart,’’ says Working Group Chair Frank Kemperman, ‘’and these new guidelines will help the stewards be more proactive, giving them the authority to do their job and prevent abuse in all disciplines.’’

Key initiatives in the new guidelines for stewards
*Movements which involve having the horse’s head and neck carriage in a sustained or fixed position should only be performed for periods not exceeding 10 minutes without change (diagrams showing head and neck positions will be provided to the stewards).
*No single neck position should be maintained which may lead to tiredness or stress.
*The rider is not permitted to use rough or abrupt aids, or apply constant unyielding pressure on the horse’s mouth through a fixed arm and hand position.

The guidelines state that it is the steward’s responsibility to ensure that riders respect the above procedures and intervene if required. The steward will intervene should he/she observe:
*Neck stretching achieved through forced or aggressive riding.
*The use of extreme flexion if it does not comply with the above.
*A rider deliberately maintaining a sustained fixed head and neck carriage longer than approximately 10 minutes.
*If the horse is in a state of general stress and/or fatigue.
*The steward may also ask the rider to walk for a certain period in situations where the rider’s stress may cause undesired riding.
*Only in exceptional circumstances and with permission of the Chief Steward, may a pre-completion training session exceed one hour. There should be at least a one-hour break between any training/warm-up periods.’

Source-July 2010 edition of Horse&Rider pages 8-9.

gerrypony 06-08-2010 07:13 AM

I suppose we should be happy that the FEI has finally passed some rules, but 10 minutes in rollkur can already do a lot of damage.

Tennessee 06-08-2010 11:57 PM

It sure can, but ten minutes is better than say..an hour or two?

Maybe they will continue to increase the strictness of the rules.

ridergirl23 06-09-2010 12:25 AM

I love the second last one about the riders stress, I've seen too many people get mad and ride like they're out of their minds, aka actually spurring the horse so hard it welts and stuff, it just makes
Me cringe! People must remember, ridings a game, not to be taken so seriously that you hurt the horse. Just like any other sport, just a game.
Posted via Mobile Device

gerrypony 06-09-2010 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 655360)
People must remember, ridings a game, not to be taken so seriously that you hurt the horse. Just like any other sport, just a game.
Posted via Mobile Device

To a lot of people, competing is what they do for a living. They compete a horse, and the higher he scores, the higher they can sell him for. Unfortunately, dressage will always be taken very seriously in some circles, though I strongly believe nothing justifies physical or mental abuse of the horse, which I think rollkur is.

ridergirl23 06-09-2010 08:35 AM

yes, I understand that, lots of people make a living off of other sports too, but people never seem to understand that yanking and getting mad at the horse just makes it worse.
Posted via Mobile Device