The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Tennessee Walkers and hip dysplasia? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/tennessee-walkers-hip-dysplasia-5661/)

JustDressageIt 01-29-2008 10:16 PM

Tennessee Walkers and hip dysplasia?

I just watched this video posted in another thread:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wuqN9n4RF4Y
and was wondering if TWH can get hip dysplasia, or another condition like it? Most of the horses in the video really reminded me of German Shepherds that have a predisposition to hip dysplasia.
I'm sorry for appearing ignorant, but I have never worked with the breed (I have generally stuck with breeds intended for hunter or dressage) and really have no idea about it, so any clarification would be wonderful.

mods: if you feel this thread would be better off in "health" then please move it! :)

Tammy 01-29-2008 11:14 PM

personally i think that looks really cruel. My mom has a walking horse and he is a sweetheart and can't imagine making him have to walk up on blocks or what ever they are i would think it would have to cuase some kind of back or hip problems i don't mean to offend anybody though i guess to each there own.

jazzyrider 01-29-2008 11:21 PM

ive been trying to decide whether or not it should be here or in health and its such a hard decision lol if only TWHs have the problem then it fits in both but if its common to more than one breed then it should be in health :? i think im gunna move it to health. posters like ryle who have veterinary knowledge seem only to hang out in the health section and she could maybe help with this :)

JustDressageIt 01-30-2008 07:16 PM

Wonderful, thanks :)

I just think it looks very strange.. how do you train a horse to rock back so much that its' hocks just about touch the ground?

Harlee rides horses 01-30-2008 09:24 PM

I just watched the movie for one minute and almost barfed. Tennessee Walking Horses, at least these young ones, are completely and utterly hideous. They move ugly, they look scrawny, and they are all leggy and what not. Eck. But I'm sure that any horse can get hip dysplasia, and any other condition like that, like not just one breed is prone to it I'm sure.

mlkarel2010 01-30-2008 10:02 PM

The way they move and are trained I'm sure it puts them at a greater risk for it. Especially at the angles their hind legs make. If they happen to misstep it would be really easy to pull a muscle or dislocate something.

dinglehead 02-12-2008 03:09 PM

while we're on the subject I just got a Tennesse Walker Mare and I've never even really seen one before I know she moves wierd compared to what I'm used to but it looks like she's hesatent to stop on her back left foot I just got her hooves trimmed and the farrier said nothing was wrong with her feet that he could see so I don't think it's that what else do you think it could be????

appylover31803 02-12-2008 03:18 PM

I was trying to study the video, but with the constant moving, it was hard to see, but is there something around their front hooves? and if so, what is it there for?

I also noticed some poor horse stumble a little bit on his hind legs. That just looks.. i don't know, unnatural to me.

Harlee rides horses 02-12-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appylover31803
I was trying to study the video, but with the constant moving, it was hard to see, but is there something around their front hooves? and if so, what is it there for?

I also noticed some poor horse stumble a little bit on his hind legs. That just looks.. i don't know, unnatural to me.

The thing on their front hooves are weights to help them pick their feet up higher.

appylover31803 02-12-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

The thing on their front hooves are weights to help them pick their feet up higher.
those poor babies!