The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   jumping critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/jumping-critique-56663/)

savvylover112 06-06-2010 09:16 AM

jumping critique

Hey everyone could you critique me and Phoebe here in this video? Critique me on whatever you see and could you let me know what you think of Phoebe's form I have tried to improve the way she lifts her legs over the jumps with some gymnastic grids at home.

PS. Be as brutal as you need to be I want to hear it all(and I mean it I won't take offense)

Shauna

savvylover112 06-06-2010 10:42 AM

Just going to bump this up |:D

Spirithorse 06-06-2010 12:12 PM

I think you guys look pretty good! It does concern me how she throws her head like that....what kind of bit are you using on her? I'm wondering if she's telling you to loosen up on the reins a bit.

savvylover112 06-06-2010 12:24 PM

Just using a loose ring french link snaffle she gets quite excited at shows and likes to go.

Spirithorse 06-06-2010 12:39 PM

I'd work on her impulsion, getting her to be more relaxed. It looked like she was quite excited and when she felt you "in her way" so to speak she threw her head. Her expression is good, though.

savvylover112 06-06-2010 05:14 PM

Okay thanks Rebecca.

Anyone else got any critique?

UnrealJumper 06-06-2010 05:34 PM

It looks to me like you need to fold your body over jumps more rather than push yourself up.

sullylvr 06-08-2010 10:06 AM

Well it seems to me the biggest thing is yalls speed. Tone it down a bit he's going a little fast. But idk if this was a speed event. Also I noticed he looks to the outside alot, the placement of his head lost you some control and his focus. But otherwise y'all look good! Nice round!
Posted via Mobile Device

AfterParty 06-08-2010 12:09 PM

At 0.45 - 0.46 it really looks like your seasawing on her mouth , it may just be the video but im not totally sure. Although it may be a speed even she looks to be a tad ofo of control in the speed she can be just as fast but more collected and under control . What a great little jumper though !

~*~anebel~*~ 06-08-2010 02:31 PM

I totally have a horse that jumps like this. I know you'd probably love to slow down and be a bit more controlled but the more you focus on control, the less you have.
This is a case of a rider that's doing a good job on a nice horse with the wrong mentality. Horse sport is such a mind game.
You need to first of all stop focusing on the fences. If your horse gets a bad spot, they're barely at her shoulders and they fall down. She's smart enough that she'll figure it out and if she's at all like my horse she hates touching rails and will do anything to avoid them.
Think about soft heels, soft elbows and driving your shoulders to your hips. You are strong and soft in the wrong places. Let your heels come down and stabilize you, let your shoulders come down and stabilize you and then your arms can be soft and allow a release. After that, count. I ride a jumping course counting 1 2 3 4 over and over again. Regulate the horse's stride with your weight and legs. Sit up, relax and she'll slow down, I promise. Put your leg on and lighten your seat - there's your forward aid. Just maintain a rhythm and she will find the spots.

Good luck!