The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Stories and Poems (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-stories-poems/)
-   -   Ever been knocked unconcious during a lesson? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-stories-poems/ever-been-knocked-unconcious-during-lesson-56702/)

Brithorse1996 06-06-2010 06:11 PM

Ever been knocked unconcious during a lesson?

One of my friends blacked out for about 5 seconds today in a lesson (she was fine) but we had to end the lesson early because she was walking like a drunk:-P ( no offence to her) had no balance on the horse and she was seeing stars.

Has anyone else ever been knocked during a riding lesson and what happened?
Did your instructor panic what did they do?

equiniphile 06-06-2010 07:05 PM

Never during a lesson, but twice in my life, both in the last 6 months. In neither did I go completely out, I just couldn't see or hear very well at all, and could barely walk.

The first was for my sports physical, after I'd just gotten three shots. I'm thin, and the doctor said people that are thin can sometimes feel the shot spreading....ugh, I could. Weird. 5 minutes later, while leaving the doctor's office, I started to not be able to see or hear at ALL, I could see black splotches all over, and all the sudden I was really mad for no apparent reason. Swaying....took me to a table in the doctor's office and gave me juice so I would stop my blackout.

Second time I was at a track meet, someone feel into my lane, which threw off my stride, and I fell headfirst over a hurdle. Landed on my shoulder, didn't realize anything was wrong until ten minutes after....ended up being a broken collarbone, snapped clean in half. But I blacked out and had to have my teachers half-carry me to the car! Omg how embarrassing LOL!

Can't help you about what a riding instructor would do, though. I don't take lessons :)

Skutterbotch 06-07-2010 12:45 AM

sounds like anemia or low iron

i get it once and a while

Brithorse1996 06-07-2010 11:25 AM

No she actually fell off i meant lol

Jake and Dai 06-07-2010 12:09 PM

I was knocked unconscious many many years ago during a lesson. I'm not even sure what happened as I was cantering along one minute and the next thing I knew, I was waking up on the couch in the BO's house. The BO suggested I get checked out at the hospital so my parents took me straight there. They kept me overnight because I had a concussion.

So based on that, I'd say that the instructor did not panic...at least not that I can remember.

Speed Racer 06-07-2010 12:19 PM

I've gotten some bad concussions, but never been knocked unconscious.

Sounds like your friend has a concussion, and I hope her parents took her to the doctor's as well as replaced her helmet the same day.

Concussions are cumulative, so they get worse every time you have one. Brain injuries aren't something about which anyone should be flippant.

Jake and Dai 06-07-2010 12:28 PM

Oh...and I will add, I WAS wearing a helmet. But to be honest...this was way way back in the day (maybe 30 years ago?) and I cannot remember if it was a safety certified helmet or not.

I agree with SR...I do hope they took your friend to the doctor and/or hospital to be checked out.

Delfina 06-07-2010 12:54 PM

Nope, not during a lesson! My instructor is also a paramedic, so I cannot imagine she would panic plus she's just not the panicking type, very calm and quiet, even when things are going to pieces.

Eolith 06-07-2010 01:16 PM

My mom got a concussion and had short term memory loss for a few days afterward. It was pretty freaky stuff. She didn't even remember falling off. I just got back to the barn from out on the trails and found her standing with her horse looking somewhat dazed and confused. I literally had to use deductive reasoning to figure out that she must have fallen off.

The entire way to the hospital our conversation kept going in circles. We had to remind her every few minutes that she really had fallen off and we were taking her to the hospital.

Needless to say I was pretty concerned, but I kept my cool and got her the help she needed as well as making sure that both of our horses were sorted away... so no one did any freaking out.

Brithorse1996 06-08-2010 05:03 PM

What does concussion feel like?