The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Tracing Bloodlines (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/tracing-bloodlines-56720/)

Cinnys Whinny 06-07-2010 12:20 AM

Tracing Bloodlines

Has anyone traced their horses bloodlines really far back and gotten any surprises? My Morgan wasn't really much of a surprise because theoretically ALL Morgans eventually trace back to the ORIGINAL Morgan...Justin Morgan. But I mean, you are just goofin one day cuz you have time and you are looking back far in your horses bloodlines and you almost fall off your chair from the unexpectedness.

This happened to me tonight. Cinny traces back to Man O War! I know it's probably kind of stupid and whatnot because a lot of horses probably trace back to him, but WOW.....I was kind of shocked that my Stock Paint's no name Sire and Grandsires...all paints....eventually lead to Man O War.

And it's 11pm and though I want to announce to my barn friends "hey guess what I discovered" it's really too late....so cookies to you for reading this and carrots if you don't think I'm totally batty for thinking this is really awesome...

I think next time I see him I will bow down and kiss his royal hooves!

Wallaby 06-07-2010 01:11 AM

I did that with Lacey once! Some funny stuff came up too! I only know her dad's bloodlines so it wasn't as entertaining as both parents might have been, but I discovered that she's only about 7-8 generations separated from legit desert horses that were ridden by actual Arabs from Arabia! The other best part was finding that her 5 greats great-grandfather on her dad's mom's side, was a double registered Arab. He was registered Arab by blood and gained TWH registration since he did all the TWH gaits too. O.o

I really wish I could find out who Lacey's mom was, I bet she has some nuggets of hilarity as well. Haha It's such a bummer that her previous owner has basically left the planet. >.>

That's cool about Cinny and Man O' War!! Lacey is related to Bask who was a pretty big name Arabian sire. Most people wouldn't think much of that since many Arabs have him, but I think it's cool cuz back when I was little and I'd read all the old old old Arabian horse magazines, I loved Bask and his get. They were always my favorites, and now I kinda have one, even though he's a few generation back. But yeah, so I get it! It's super cool when your horse is related to a big name! :D

Cinnys Whinny 06-07-2010 01:17 AM

OH, when I was a teen I was REALLY into Arabs... probably because my first horse was one ha ha. I was a big Bask fan too!!! That is so cool.

When I found Man O War, I was actually tracing trying to find any signs of Two Eyed Jack, my favorite QH...but sadly, no such luck. He has traveler, Doc Bar, Poco Bueno, Top Deck...I think it's cool to find the famous names...especially the race horses.

Spyder 06-07-2010 01:18 AM

My stallion traces back to some of the most prestigious Hanoverian lines and multiple horse of the year winners as well as Olympic medalists but most here would not recognize the German lines so lets just say he is well bred.

Cinnys Whinny 06-07-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 653625)
My stallion traces back to some of the most prestigious Hanoverian lines and multiple horse of the year winners as well as Olympic medalists but most here would not recognize the German lines so lets just say he is well bred.

Oh, I think a lot of people here that have Hanoverians or Hanoverieans in their horses "mix" would be interested or know of some names. When I had my Arabian I researched him way back to his "homeland" and beyond lol.

Speed Racer 06-07-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny (Post 653623)
I was a big Bask fan too!!! That is so cool.

My heart horse had several ties back to Bask, who was his maternal grandsire. His paternal grandsire was another Arabian great, Serafix.

His father was SX Conquistador, who himself was an Arabian Nationals Top 10 winner.

That horse was bred like a who's who of Arabian royalty back in the day. He was beautiful, smart, loyal, and made my current riding Arabian look like a badly bred, grade plug (which he isn't).

justsambam08 06-07-2010 12:57 PM

I did this for my gelding....he's off the track and has some BIG names in his history. A lot of the big names now are closely related to him as well! Maybe its just me, but it honestly makes me a firm believer in good breeding. You can feel it when you ride!

Horsel02 06-07-2010 02:32 PM

My paint also traces back to Man O War.

I use Allbreedpedigree.com to research.

Cowgirl140ty 06-07-2010 03:16 PM

My 3 apps go back to Man O War, Wimpy, Impressive, Joe Hancock, Badger, Traveler, Red Dog, Kid Myers, Leo, The Intimidator, Three Bars, Zantanon! A Lot of old QHs and a few Thoroughbreds. =)

SorrelHorse 06-07-2010 04:09 PM

Yes, my paints are Man O' War too :D

But Jester has himself the Darley Arabian too, which I think is kind of fun. He has lots of TB a ways back though, so obviously that comes into play ^^