The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   1st show in 20 yrs is next weekend. Excited :) (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/1st-show-20-yrs-next-weekend-56722/)

HalfPass 06-07-2010 01:42 AM

1st show in 20 yrs is next weekend. Excited :)

Hello everyone.

This is so exciting.
I have not shown in 20 something years....

I will ride Intro a and b on Sat in the afternoon and then on Sunday I will ride Training level 1 and 2

There is a lot of hard work that has gone into this preperation for both my self and the haflinger I will ride.

I am somewhat nervous but it is more an excited nervous than a scared nervous. A healthy nervous.

As of right now i have intro A and B memorized and need to memorize Training 1 and 2.

I am having them called because I am a wuss. Lol. I remember riding these tests years ago but they were a tad different then.

I certainly will get you all some pictures. My Mom is coming up to visit and watch the horse show. She will take my photograhs....

What an exciting deal it will all be!

Please any last minute tips you would like to share will help me a bunch.

I think I will bring a deli type sandwhich and some fruit and water. I am sure my barn will have burgers and all that but I would rather eat fruit.

My horse is going to be bathed and braided probly in the morning on Sat since we ride in the afternoon. Not sure of the plan for sunday probly same thing just earlier.
He is familiar with surroundings, but I have no idea how he will respond to the people, chair, tents trailers etc. I will be able to ride him near all the tents on friday as my barn sets all that up the day before so i hope this will hellp

Okay ....please give me any suggestions you have....I will have my coach there with me and a friend doing some of my grooming!
Halfpas:wink:

corinowalk 06-07-2010 01:48 AM

Let me be the first to wish you good luck! I had a 15 year absence from the show ring myself and let me tell you, its better and more exciting than it was when i was younger. I take it much more seriously now and while i was a cool calm and collected 20 y/o rider...at 35, im a nervous wreck...til i cross that gate! You will do great! I have no tips but to have fun and keep away from that 'rusty' mindset...were better now that were older!

HalfPass 06-07-2010 01:52 AM

Thanks a bunch!
I am way more jazzed about it all then when i was years ago.
I think it is because at one point about 5 or so years ago I wondered if i was ever going to have the horses back in my life on a regular basis. Then things got worse when i was in a car accident and had to have my neck fused.

So.....it goes to show you life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful!

I am hardly going to bea able to contain my dang excitement!
hp

ridergirl23 06-07-2010 02:00 AM

good luck! Don't get nervous, and ride it like you stole it! Haha that's the best advice I have. If I may ask, what's the show called?
Posted via Mobile Device

HalfPass 06-07-2010 02:11 AM

Haha...
Just go in and do the job!
I am not nervous in a bad way only an excited way. hehe

The show is called Franktown Meadows June Dressage Classic
It seems a bit smaller this year. I did not ride in it last year but it was at this same show i figured out I wanted to show again. I actually worked the gate for the indoor arena because it rained outside and the show was moved indoors.

My knee was still in a knee brace from surgery and i was only 10 month post op from a 2 level neck fusion. But it was that day last year that helped me to push myself to get better and be 100% physically so I could do what I wanted! :)

It is a local level show which is fine with me.
hp

ridergirl23 06-07-2010 02:18 AM

oooo fun! Small shows are fun! Haha I had to ask because I'm going to a show nextweekend too, haha, except it's in claresholm.
Good luck and have a good time! Haha I'm slowly getting my mom and aunty back into shoing after about 20 years too, haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

HalfPass 06-08-2010 12:23 AM

Thanks ridergirl
It will be fun.
I just got an email from the show secretary. Intro riders are not allowed to cross enter into canter classes.
My coach ( who I am having some issues with ) told me that it was fine due to riding intro on sat and then training level on Sun.
I just told the show secretary I will ride intro A and B on both Sat and Sunday.

My coach and I are having some issues at this time.
Well she is creating them. I am just going with the flow until my lesson package runs out and moving on to the more advanced instructor.

It is all going to be a big fat blast!

today i got the ribbon for the haffie's mane and a couple hairnets for mine...lol

Halfpass

MIEventer 06-08-2010 12:46 AM

I have faith in you! You can accomplish anything my dear, and you've overcome so much! If you can overcome what you have, you can overcome a dressage show!!

Go out there and kick some patunkee! Besides, you'll have a magic sparkly browband that'll bring you good luck :) :)

HalfPass 06-08-2010 10:49 PM

Thanks MIE.
I am really excited about everything.
I will be working hard this week to tidy some things up for my test's. Which I have memorized!
I forgot again to try the browband on the Haffie to see how it looks with is color.
It is going to be two days of fun and laughter. I am excited my Mom will be coming to watch and take pics. I may pay to have it video'd not sure yet.

HP

Allison Finch 06-08-2010 10:56 PM

WOOHOO!!

Welcome back to the crunch. I know you will do very well and remember to have a great time. My best advice......make the tests last as long as you can. So many people look like they rush through the test and just try to get it over with. Go slow, make it last, and try to dance for the judge. Even if your horse bucks, smile and act like you wanted to do "aires above ground" to impress the judge.

We will impatiently wait for the pics.