The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Is it normal to stop liking riding horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/normal-stop-liking-riding-horses-56727/)

SomeRandom 06-07-2010 03:07 AM

Is it normal to stop liking riding horses?

Okay so, I'm a boy 15 years old, I've been riding for roughly 6 years and I guess it was pretty fun when I started learning but now its getting boring, I'm thinking of quitting horse riding and focusing more on other sports like tennis.

So basically what I'm trying to ask is, does horse riding get boring after a while and should I stop?

Cougar 06-07-2010 05:20 AM

Only you can know for yourself if you should continue or not. But! Just like anything else in your life riding can get boring if you are not challenging yourself properly. Maybe try taking lessons and up the difficulty level of what you are doing? Or switch what style of riding you do? If you ride Western maybe try riding English or vice versa. If you do a lot of ring work go trail riding. Switch it up.

RedTree 06-07-2010 06:59 AM

if you have been doing the same stuff for 6 years then it probably would get boring. I have been riding for around 5 years, started off english went to western for a bit, went back to english starting showing at low levels, jumping more and going on trial rides more.
Mix it up if you have been doing the same thing

PaintHorseMares 06-07-2010 07:23 AM

You're at the age that many young men 'fall out of riding'. After all, it is a transition time in your life...cars/driving, sports, working, thinking about your future, girls, and deciding what part in your life each of those will play (including riding). Typically it is not so much being bored as it is a normal desire to try different things (e.g. sports), and there is not enough time in the day to do everything. If you want to try something else, do it. It is much worse to have regrets later, and riding will always be there for you if you want it.

themacpack 06-07-2010 09:02 AM

Not unusual at all, especially at your age. You have reached one of the points in life where your interests start to change some. If you aren't into riding right now, no biggie - you may or may not find the passion for it again later.

AfterParty 06-07-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 653704)
You're at the age that many young men 'fall out of riding'. After all, it is a transition time in your life...cars/driving, sports, working, thinking about your future, girls, and deciding what part in your life each of those will play (including riding). Typically it is not so much being bored as it is a normal desire to try different things (e.g. sports), and there is not enough time in the day to do everything. If you want to try something else, do it. It is much worse to have regrets later, and riding will always be there for you if you want it.

I agree 100% , well said !

Marecare 06-07-2010 10:17 AM

Young fella,

You are all setup and you don't even know it!

In a couple of years all your guy friends are going to be laying around under some car and you are going to be out riding with all the girls with a big ol smile on your face.

Keep the riding going ....we need more young men in the horse world.

sullylvr 06-07-2010 10:53 AM

well it depends on what your doing! if youve been riding for 6 years, as in learned the basics and just did that for the rest of the time, thats totally normal! id get bored if i was doing the same thing for that long too! but if youve been advancing, jumping higher, learning more difficult dressage, and showing, then that may be a sign that your looking for something else, and thats okay too! mabye you need to advance even more if your getting bored with what you do! hmm or you might do western, but its the same case, showing, advanciing in more difficult things ect. i hope you figure it out :)!!

SorrelHorse 06-07-2010 11:33 AM

Haha, I agree with Marecare.

A lot of teenagers (Girls and Boys) fall out when they ge tinto high school, but don't realize that they have something special that will carry them thorugh a lifetime. Horses help so many people. I think my horses raised me more than my parents did, lol :D

xdrybonesxvalleyx 06-07-2010 12:38 PM

Treat it like a horse.

What do you do if your horse starts getting bored out on a hack? Make things more entertaining for him. Just the same, don't neglect yourself. Change it up a bit.